National Pizza Day occurs on February 9 each year in the United States. Pizza lovers everywhere take part in the celebration of what some consider to be the world’s most perfect food.
When is National Pizza Day?
National Pizza Day is celebrated on February 9 each year. For this year, National Pizza Day falls on Tuesday, February 9, 2021.
You may think you know all about pizza since you’ve been eating it from childhood. But you might be surprised to learn some of the answers to these frequently asked questions.
Why is it called pizza?
Food historian Giuseppe Nocca recently researched the origin of the word pizza. He discovered a Latin document dating to 997 AD that is believed to be the first reference of the word ‘pizza.’
Another historical milestone in pizza making is the invention of the Margherita pizza (made with tomato, mozzarella, and basil). It was created to honor the Queen of Italy upon her visit to Naples in 1889.
The Queen’s name was Margherita of Savoy. The colors of the ingredients used to make the pizza represented the national colors of Italy: red, green, and white.
Who invented pizza?
Since we don’t know who invented the pizza over 1,000 years ago, we’re left to bestow the title upon the Neapolitan pizza maker Raffaele Esposito. He made the first Margherita pizza as a tribute to the Queen of Italy on June 11, 1889.
What is the best pizza ever?
In 2013 USAToday ranked the best pizzas in the U.S. Here are the five best:
1.) Frank Pepe’s White Clam pizza in New Haven, Connecticut
2.) Di Fara Classic Pie in Brooklyn, New York
3.) Pizzeria Bianco’s Marinara pizza in Phoenix, Arizona
4.) Una Pizza Napoletana’s Margherita pizza in San Francisco, California
5.) Pizzeria Mozza’ squash blossoms with tomato and burrata pizza in Los Angeles California
What are the different types of pizza?
There are many kinds of pizzas and pizza crusts. Here is a list of the major types of pizzas:
- Neapolitan – The Neapolitan is the original pizza we’re all familiar with.
- Chicago style – A Chicago pizza is a deep-dish style pizza.
- New York-style – The New York pizza usually has large, floppy pieces that are good for folding over to eat.
- Sicilian (or Detroit) style – The Sicilian is a pan- or deep-dish style pizza with thick dough that makes for a crunchy crust.
- St. Louis style – In St. Louis, folks eat pizza with a very thin and crunchy crust, usually made with unleavened dough.
- Greek-style – Greek-style pizza has a thick, chewy crust with tangy tomato paste and oregano.
- California style – California’s contribution to pizza is to make it gourmet style with unusual ingredients.
Pizza crust variations:
- Double dough – This crust is named for its two layers of dough.
- Stuffed crust – As the name implies, the outer crust is stuffed with cheese.
Domino’s pizza maker makes three in 39 seconds video
Why do we celebrate National Pizza Day?
Pizza offers all that we love about food — melty cheese, tangy sauce, and crispy or chewy crust with a delicious aroma, texture, and flavor. It only makes sense that pizza holds a special place in our hearts.
We lovingly celebrate our favorite food on National Pizza Day on February 9 each year.
How do we celebrate National Pizza Day?
Celebrating National Pizza Day is not difficult since it generally involves eating pizza. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Have a pizza party – Get your friends together to share a delicious, home-made or take-out pizza at your party.
- Eat pizza – On National Pizza Day, you’re allowed to have pizza for every meal!
- Try something new – Be adventurous. Try a new topping on your pizza like artichoke pesto or corn with pasilla chiles.
- Share a pizza – Nothing brings smiles to faces like pizza. Share with friends, family, and workmates!
1.) The town of Old Forge in northeastern Pennsylvania is known as the “Pizza Capital of the World.”
2.) The popularity of pizza didn’t take off in the United States until the 1940s when immigrants brought them to New York and other cities.
3.) Chicago’s Pizzeria Uno invented the deep dish pizza in 1943.
4.) The three most-favored toppings among pizza consumers are cheese, pepperoni, and sausage.
5.) To no one’s surprise, Americans love pizza. Pizza is the second-favorite food after hamburgers. Surveys show 57% of all Americans say they love pizza, and 30% consume pizza at least once per week.
6.) About 350 slices of pizza are sold every second in the U.S.
- How do you fix a broken pizza?
With tomato paste.
- Why did the hipster burn his mouth while eating his pizza?
He ate it way before it was cool.
- What does a pizza wear to smell good?
- What person doesn’t like pizza?
- You wanna pizza me, tough guy?
At yeast, let me explain.
- Why buy our pizza?
We knead the dough.
- My Hawaiian pizza is burnt.
They need to cook it at aloha temperature.
- Wood-fired pizza.
How’s pizza going to get a job now?
- Want to hear a pizza joke?
I can’t tell you, it’s too cheesy.
Puns about Pizza
- Yeah, I’m into fitness.
Fitness whole pizza in my mouth.
- What is a pizza maker’s favorite song?
Slice, slice, baby.
- Did you hear about the pizza place on the moon?
Great restaurant, but no atmosphere.
- I am a little ambivalent about pizza.
On the upside, it has some great toppings.
On the downside, it doesn’t.
- Did you hear about the Italian chef with a terminal illness?
He passed away. Now he’s just a pizza history.
- What pizza do dogs eat?
- What does an anteater want on its pizza?
- What does a pizza say when it wants to cuddle?
Fold me close.
- What does a pizza say when it introduces itself to you?
Slice to meet you.
- If pizza could talk, what would it say?
Probably lots of cheesy things.
- What do you call a sleeping pizza?
- What did the boss say to his pizza during their meeting?
There’s mushroom for improvement.
- You order one pizza, and you love it: next time, you order pizza and garlic bread. Before you know it, you’re eating pizzas for every meal, and you get withdrawal symptoms if you don’t get one.
That’s known as the Domino effect.
- I burnt my Hawaiian pizza the other night.
I should have put it on aloha temperature.
- Making a deep-dish pizza is surprisingly super easy!
It’s a pizza cake!
- What did the parmesan say when it broke up with the mozzarella?
Sorry, but I am too mature for you.
- Do you want to hear a pizza joke?
Never mind… it’s too cheesy.
- Why did the hipster burn his lips?
He ate his pizza before it was cool.
- What’s the difference between a musician and a large pizza?
A large pizza can feed a family of four.
- I have been trying to write a new pizza joke…
But I can’t work out the delivery.
- I saw a man cutting a pizza with a smartphone.
I know it’s cutting edge technology, but jeez.
- What kind of cheese do hairdressers like on their pizza?
- Where do pepperonis go on vacation?
The Leaning Tower of Pizza.
- What type of person doesn’t like pizza?
- What did the pizza say when it went out on a date?
“I never sausage a beautiful face.”
- What did the pepperoni say to the cheese?
“Slice to meat you!”
- What did the pizza slicer say when he wanted to rob the pizza?
“Hand over the dough, or I’ll cut you!”
- Why does the mushroom always get invited to pizza parties?
Because he’s such a fungi!
- What did the pizza say to the delivery guy?
“You don’t pepper-own me.”
- What’s a pizza maker’s favorite song?
Slice, Slice Baby
- Why was the pizzeria desperate for business?
Because they kneaded the dough!
- You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.
- Those pizzas I ate were for medicinal purposes.
- My daily diet consists of basically anything I think looks tasty, whether that’s pizza, sushi, burgers, quesadillas. I like everything.
- Anyone who says that money cannot buy happiness has clearly never spent their money on pizza.
- You can do irrefutably impossible things with the right amount of planning and support from intelligent and hardworking people and pizza.
- My love is pizza shaped. Won’t you have a slice? It’s circular, so there’s enough to go around.
Dora J. Arod
- You can’t go wrong with pizza unless it’s terrible pizza.
- I would never win an award for not loving pizza.
- And I don’t cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza.
Pizza Quotes Meme
Sayings about pizza
- There’s very little in my world that a foot massage and a thin-crust, everything-on-it pizza won’t sit right.
- It’s the old adage: You can make a pizza so cheap, nobody will eat it. You can make an airline so cheap; nobody will fly it.
- There’s no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap.
- I would marry pizza, but it would just be an elaborate ploy to eat her whole family at the wedding.
- Pizza makes me think anything is possible.
- I don’t eat fast food, but I can’t live without pizza.
- There’s very little in my world that a foot massage and a thin-crust, everything-on-it pizza won’t sit right.
- Neapolitans have always had their fast food. It’s called pizza.
Luciano De Crescenzo
- The universe is hilarious! Like, Venus is 900 degrees. I could tell you it melts lead. But that’s not as fun as saying, ‘You can cook a pizza on the windowsill in nine seconds.’ And next time my fans eat pizza, they’re thinking of Venus!
Neil deGrasse Tyson
- I think of dieting; then I eat pizza.
- I love pizza, meaning: Even when I’m in the middle of eating pizza, I wish I were eating pizza.
Pizza captions for Instagram
- Pizza is self-care.
- You’re my mozzarella, fella.
- Are you having a bad day? Here, have a pizza.
- I pepper-only have eyes for you.
- The slice is right.
- A little slice of paradise.
- Easy breezy cheesy.
- No one is perfect, except pizza.
- In pizza, we crust.
- I followed my heart, and it led me to pizza.
- Pizza cures whatever ails you.
- But first, pizza.
- Don’t listen to people who tell you you can’t eat a whole pizza; you don’t need that kind of negativity in your life.
- Home is where the pizza is.
- Have your pizza and eat it too.
- There are three food groups — crust, cheese, and sauce.
- Gettin’ cheesy.
- If you try hard enough, anything can go on a pizza.
- Praise be to pizza.
- I love you to pizzas.
- Make pizza, not war.
- Slice to meet you.
- Pizza is perfect, no matter which way you slice it.
- Everything is better with pizza.
- You had me at pizza.
- Going shopping for some toppings.
- Extra cheese, please.
- Pizza is life.
- Never sit around and wait for someone unless they’re delivering a pizza.
- Every meal would be better if it were pizza.
- Whatever the question, pizza is the answer.
- I never sausage a beautiful pizza.
- People who don’t like pizza are weirdoughs.
- Let’s get sauced.
- The secret’s in the sauce.
- Problems come and go, but pizza is forever.
- You’ve stolen a pizz-a my heart.
- Every pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself.
- My love language is pizza.
- Be nice, share a slice.
- Pizza perfection.
- Money can’t buy happiness, but it can buy pizza, and that’s almost the same thing.
- That’s Amore!
- Work hard, be nice, eat pizza.
- Surround yourself with pizza, not negativity.
- Slice, slice, baby.
- It’s pizza o’clock.
- Pizza — quite possibly the only perfect food.
- A pizza’s worth a thousand words.
- A little slice of heaven.
- I want to be where the pizzas are.
- If, at first, you don’t succeed, order pizza.
- Life is not about finding yourself, it’s about finding pizza.
- Pizza makes the world go ’round.
- I worship at the altar of pizza.
- There’s food…and then there’s pizza.
- Winner winner pizza dinner.
- Love is in the air…it smells like pizza.
- Any time is a good time for pizza.
- Pizza never goes out of style.
- You wanna pizza me?
- Oregano? Orega-yes.
- All-day, I dream about pizza.
- Pizza wishes and breadstick dreams.
- Worry less and eat more pizza.
- Pizza is a way of life.
- Viva la pizza.
- Is an all pizza diet healthy? Asking for a friend.
- Pizza lover.
- Always be yourself, unless you can be a pizza.
- Seven days without pizza makes one weak.
- Cheese are a few of my favorite things.
- Life happens; pizza helps.
- If pizza can’t fix it, it’s a serious problem.
- On the eighth day, God created pizza.
- In the crust, we trust.
- Everything I am, I owe to pizza.
- Say “cheese.”
- Save the planet, there’s pizza here.
- The best pizzas are the ones we eat with friends.
- All I need is sunshine, dogs, and pizza.
- Round or square, thick or thin, every pizza is beautiful.
- The answer to “What time is it?” is always “Pizza time.”
- All I need are wifi and pizza.
- Keep your friends close and your pizza closer.
- Ain’t no party like a pizza party.
- Being thin would be nice, but have you ever tasted pizza.
- Say no to drugs; say yes to pizza.
- Pizza goals.
Future dates for the holiday
Find out what day National Pizza Day falls on this year with the chart below.
|Year||Date||Day of the Week|
All this talk of pizza finds me a little hungry. Hmm, what should I have?
You’re on our National Pizza Day – February 9 page.
You might like: