National Guitar Day occurs on February 11 each year in the United States. This holiday is your chance to dust off your guitar and impress your friends with your smooth licks.
When is National Guitar Day?
National Guitar Day, also known as “Get Out Your Guitar Day,” is celebrated on February 11 each year. For this year, National Guitar Day falls on Thursday, February 11, 2021.
Here are some frequently asked questions about guitars.
Why is it called guitar?
The word ‘guitar’ comes from the Latin word ‘cithara,’ or harp, and ancient Sanskrit’ tar,’ or string.
What are the types of guitars?
There are two basic types of guitars: acoustic and electric. Acoustic (and classical) guitars use nylon and steel strings without electrical amplification as electric guitars do.
How do electric guitars work?
Electric guitars utilize electromagnetic radiation, converting the vibrations of metal strings into electrical signals that are sent to an amplifier.
How many strings does a guitar have?
Most guitars are constructed with six strings, but 4- and 12-string guitars are also common. Rarer are guitars with 7, 8, and 10 strings.
Why do we celebrate National Guitar Day?
The popularity of the guitar goes back hundreds of years. Today, it is one of the most played in the world. In 2019 guitar sales equaled almost 2.8 million in the United States. On average, each guitar player owns between 7-8 guitars.
National Guitar Day celebrates the stringed instrument, those who play and teach guitar, and the music they create.
What are the many benefits of playing guitar?
Playing guitar, and playing music generally, is known to have many benefits.
- It makes you happy and improves your mood.
- Improves the body’s natural immune response.
- Reduces stress and depression.
- Increases blood flow to the brain.
- Strengthens memory.
- Improves hearing skills.
- Strengthens social bonds and friendship.
- Improves coordination.
- Is a creative outlet for self-expression.
How do we celebrate National Guitar Day?
Here are some easy ways you can make the most out of National Guitar Day:
- Learn guitar – There are many affordable guitars available to beginners. Find an instructor or an online source for guitar lessons.
- Teach guitar – If you’ve played guitar for years, share your knowledge with those just starting or students learning guitar.
- Listen to music – Great guitar music can be found just about anywhere. From classical to flamenco to electrified rock, you find many great musical choices featuring the guitar.
- Attend a concert– You can find live music performances featuring the guitar in local watering holes, church events, and stadium concert events.
- Post to social media – Make a short clip of yourself playing your guitar or a photo of your favorite guitar and post it to social media. Use the hashtag #NationalGuitarDay on your post.
1.) Any list of the world’s best guitarists typically includes Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and Eddie Van Halen.
2.) Jimi Hendrix famously played a right-handed guitar upside down and strung in reverse because he was left-handed. The showman even played the guitar with his teeth and behind his back.
3.) Fender makes over 90,000 guitar strings per day, enough to circle the earth laid end to end.
4.) Musician George Beauchamp invented the first electric guitar along with electrical engineer Adolph Rickenbacker in 1931. The new guitar became known as the “frying pan” since its body had no hollow core for resonating sound.
5.) The oldest image of a version of the modern guitar was discovered in Hittite ruins, dating over 3300 years ago.
6.) The famous mnemonic device: “Eddie Ate Dynamite, Goodbye Eddie” helps guitar students learn the standard six-string tuning E-A-D-G-B-E. Other fun mnemonics to try are “Every Amateur Does Get Better Eventually” and “Eat All Day Get Big Easy.”
This is what a $1,500,000 Guitar looks like video
- How do you know someone’s an excellent guitarist?
He will tell you.
- What’s the first thing a guitarist says when he knocks on your door?
- How does a lead guitarist change a light bulb?
He holds it, and the world revolves around him.
- What’s the difference between a lawnmower and an electric guitar?
You can tune a lawnmower.
- What do you call a guitar player who only knows two chords?
A music critic.
- What do Eric Clapton and a cup of coffee have in common?
They both are better with Cream.
- What did the guitar say to the guitarist?
Pick on someone your own size!
- What’s the difference between a guitar player and a bag of garbage?
The garbage gets taken out at least once a week.
- How do you make a guitar player’s car more aerodynamic?
Take the pizza delivery sign off the roof.
Good guitar jokes meme
- How long does it take to tune a 12-string guitar?
- I’m learning guitar, and I asked my dad if he had any song requests.
He replied, “Can you play far, far away?”
- I asked a friend why he was licking his guitar.
He said he had good taste in music.
- Why did they call the new guy the prison guitarist?
He was always behind a few bars and can never find the right keys.
- What do you say to a jazz guitarist at work?
Big Mac and large fries, please!
- Why was the amplifier invented?
So the guitarist would have a place to put his beer.
- What’s the range of a Gibson Les Paul?
Depends on how far you throw it.
- What does the radio host say to their guitar every night?
- There’s a magician who can fold even the highest-quality guitars in half.
He’s known as “the Fender bender”.
- Guitars are the most depressed instruments.
They’re always getting picked on.
- What is the definition of an optimist?
A guitar player with a business card.
- How do you make a lead guitarist slow down?
Put a piece of sheet music in front of him.
- A young child told his mother, “When I grow up, I’m going to be a guitarist.”
His mother responded, “Well honey, you know you can’t do both.”
- What do you call a guitarist who breaks up with his girlfriend?
- What do you say to a guitar player in a 3-piece suit?
“Will the defendant please rise.”
- How does a guitar player show up for practice?
Drunk and late… as usual.
- What’s the difference between an electric guitar player and a vacuum cleaner?
When you unplug the vacuum cleaner, it doesn’t suck anymore.
- How many lead guitarists does it take to change a light bulb?
None. They steal somebody else’s light.
- What is the difference between a rock guitarist and a jazz guitarist?
One plays three chords in front of thousands of people; the other plays thousands of chords in front of three people.
- How does a guitarist get a million dollars?
Start with 2 million and try to make a living playing the guitar.
- What’s the difference between a guitarist and a savings bond?
Eventually, a savings bond will mature and make money.
- Two jazz guitarists meet in a bar. One says, “Hey, I bought your last album, it was really great!” to which the other replies, “Oh, so that was you!”.
- Why are so many guitarists jokes one-liners?
So the rest of the band can understand them.
- How do you know a lead guitarist has entered the building?
Got the wrong key and didn’t know when to come in.
Bass guitar jokes
- What do you call a bass player that only knows two chords?
- What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?
A bass player.
- What do you call a beautiful woman on a bassist’s arm?
- What kind of fish plays the guitar?
- How do you reduce wind-drag on a bassist’s car?
Take the Domino’s Pizza sign off the roof.
- Why can’t bass players get through a door?
He either can’t find the key, or he doesn’t know when to come in.
- Why don’t bass players tell blonde jokes?
They don’t understand them.
- What do you call a bass player with a job?
The pizza delivery boy.
- A man asks the devil: “how much does it cost to be the greatest guitar player in the world?”
The devil says: “Give me your soul.”
The man asks: “What can I get for a dollar?”
Devil: “You can become the greatest bass player in the world.”
- What do you call a bass player with half a brain?
- What’s the difference between a jazz bassist & a large pizza?
The pizza can feed a family of four.
- Why don’t bass players like dating guitar players?
Too much treble.
- Why did Darth Vader search the guitar shop?
To find the hidden rebel bass.
- What do you call a cow that plays the guitar?
- What do you call a female police officer who plays the guitar?
- How can you tell a guitarist is worried?
He frets a lot.
- How do you invite a guitar musician to a party?
- Free air guitar to the first person who will contact me.
No strings attached.
- What do you call a guitar that never finishes a job?
- Why can’t Woody play his guitar?
He doesn’t know where his Pixar.
- I used to hate my guitar lessons.
I always fretted going to them.
- What’s a guitar’s favorite cheese?
Puns for Kids
- I really like guitars.
They just strike a chord with me.
- I busted my guitar up, but I’ll give it to you for free.
Really. No strings attached.
- I asked my father if he could leave his guitar collection to my children when he passes.
He said that’s music to his heirs.
- Middle C, E-flat, and G walk into a bar.
“Sorry,” the bartender says to the E-flat, “we don’t serve minors here.”
- Why are violinists braver than guitarists?
They never fret.
- What did the robbers take from the music store?
- What makes music on your hair?
- My wife likes to crochet and plays guitar.
She’s a real knit picker.
- A musician told me he was going to hit me with the neck of his guitar.
I replied, “Is that a fret?”
Quotes about guitars
- A guitar is like an old friend that is there with me.
- You couldn’t not like someone who liked the guitar.
- Soon as I could play one guitar chord and laid my ear upon that wood, I was gone. My soul was sold. Music was everything from then on.
- This machine kills fascists.
- I’m only myself when I have a guitar in my hands.
- A guitar is a very personal extension of the person playing it. You have to be emotionally and spiritually connected to your instrument. I’m very brutal on my instruments, but not all the time.
Eddie Van Halen
- Someone told me the smile on my face gets bigger when I play the guitar.
- The guitar is a small orchestra. It is polyphonic. Every string is a different color, a different voice.
- The violin is my mistress, but the guitar is my master.
- The history of music is mortal, but the idiocy of the guitar is eternal.
- Sometimes the nicest thing to do with a guitar is just look at it.
- I have to practice to be good at guitar. I have to write 100 songs before you write the first good one.
- Whenever I have my guitar I always feel like I’m in a different space where, here is my tool, and I have this power now.
- Enthusiasm is everything. It must be taut and vibrating like a guitar string.
- The guitar is a miniature orchestra in itself.
Ludwig van Beethoven
- Sometimes you want to give up the guitar. You’ll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you’re gonna be rewarded.
- Surf music is actually just the sound of the waves played on a guitar: that wet, splashy sound.
- The guitar was my weapon, my shield to hide behind.
- My guitar is not a thing. It is an extension of myself. It is who I am.
- I just go where the guitar takes me.
- If you don’t know the blues… there’s no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music.
- Guitar is the best form of self-expression, I know.
- I’ve always wanted to smash a guitar over someone’s head. You just can’t do that with a piano.
- I was put on this earth to play guitar and write songs.
- I like to be quiet and play guitar and just chill.
- Chet Atkins… is probably the best guitar player who ever lived.
- I just love playing guitar, so that’s what I’m going to do.
- My life has been a roller coaster ride, but somehow I’ve always been able to land on my feet and still play the guitar.
- At the point where the painting seems to not be going anywhere, I go and pick up the guitar.
Guitar captions for Instagram
- I like my guitar and maybe like two people.
- Guitarist: A person that wants every guitar they see or touch.
- If I could sing, I wouldn’t be a guitarist.
- How many guitars do you need? Just one more.
- Never underestimate an old man with a guitar.
- All I need is this guitar.
- I have too many guitars (said no one ever).
- Education is important, but guitar playing is importanter.
- I play guitar, so I don’t choke anyone.
- I don’t always play guitar. Sometimes I sleep.
- No pointy headstocks.
- It might look like I’m listening to you, but in my head, I’m playing guitar.
- Bass player.
- Guitars. You wouldn’t understand.
- Let’s rock.
- You hear the music. But you feel the bass.
- In charge of the groove.
- I love you, but not like I love my guitar.
- Rockers gonna rock.
- I hate being sexy, but I play electric guitar, so I can’t help it.
- Rockin’ around the Christmas tree.
- Yes, I speak guitar.
- Relax, the bass player is here.
- You can never have too many guitars.
- I’m a guitarist. I don’t stop when I’m tired. I stop when I’m done.
- World’s okayest guitar player.
- I’m with the band.
- All men are created equal. Then some learn to play guitar.
Other names for a guitar
- Jazz box.
- Chick magnet.
- Starvation box.
Future dates for the holiday
Find out what day National Guitar Day falls on this year with the chart below.
|Year||Date||Day of the Week|
After reading the above, you should be ready to shred.
You’re on our National Guitar Day – February 11 page.
You might like: