National Umbrella Day occurs on February 10 each year in the United States. Even though it might not be raining, we take out our umbrellas and celebrate all its fun and functionality on this day!
You may be asking yourself, “Really, Umbrella Day? Why?” Well, good question. Read on to find out more about National Umbrella Day and how you can celebrate it this year.
When is National Umbrella Day?
National Umbrella Day is celebrated on February 10 each year. For this year, National Umbrella Day falls on Wednesday, February 10, 2021.
Learn more about National Umbrella Day by finding out the answers to these frequently asked questions.
Why is an umbrella important?
Umbrellas are hand-held devices used to protect oneself against the elements. They are typically made of a central pole and a folding, circular fabric screen that pops up to protect the user and is held above the head. Other types of umbrellas do not fold out but are larger in size and fixed in position like patio and beach umbrellas.
There are many uses beyond just protection from rain, including protection against:
- Sun – A sunshade umbrella protects you from the sun’s heat and damaging rays, especially for those with sensitive skin.
- Wind – A proper umbrella can tame a howling wind.
- Snow – Just as an umbrella protects you from rain, try it when the snow falls too.
- Sleet – An umbrella comes in handy for any one of these weather events or the mixed combination of all of them known as sleet.
- Privacy – Whether on the beach, a patio, or just walking the streets, an umbrella provides a measure of privacy.
- Security – Carry an umbrella if you ever need a weapon to fend off attackers or for self-defense.
Where does the word umbrella come from?
The word umbrella originates from the Latin word ‘umbra,’ meaning shaded or shadow.
Check out our Rainy Day Sayings and Captions.
What is a parasol?
The term parasol refers to a device made specifically for protection from the sun, whereas the term umbrella usually means a device for protection from the rain.
What does it mean to be under someone’s umbrella?
The phrase ‘under my umbrella’ means to be under someone’s protection—being provided security by or dependent on a more powerful source.
Why do we celebrate National Umbrella Day?
“Umbrella” is more than just a hit song by Rihanna. The umbrella is one of the most useful inventions for weather protection ever created. It can even be used as a fashion accessory!
National Umbrella Day honors the humble umbrella for all its uses and functionality in our daily lives.
How do we celebrate National Umbrella Day?
Here are a few ways you can take part in National Umbrella Day this year:
- Have a movie day – Of course, all of your movie selections should feature umbrellas, like Mary Poppins or Singin’ in the rain.
- Drink umbrella cocktails – Get in the spirit of National Umbrella Day by drinking cocktails with a tiny umbrella in the glass. Have an umbrella-drink themed party!
- Go shopping – Time for a new umbrella? Shop online or at your favorite local retailer for a new umbrella. It’s always a good idea to have a backup or maybe to coordinate your look with your newest outerwear!
1.) Umbrellas date back to ancient times. Examples are seen in the artwork of early Roman, Chinese and Greek cultures.
2.) The first recorded usage of the word umbrella dates to 1610, according to the Oxford English Dictionary.
3.) Other names for the umbrella are sunshades, brolly (UK slang term), parapluie (French), rainshade, gamp (British), and Bumbershoot (from 19th-century America).
4.) The term ‘gamp’ refers to the Charles Dickens character Mrs. Gamp from his novel Martin Chuzzlewit. She always carried an umbrella wherever she went.
5.) The icon of an umbrella is a universal symbol of rain, usually used in weather forecasting.
- I finished my job at the umbrella factory.
I was only covering for someone.
- Asked my iPhone, “surely I don’t need an umbrella today?”. Siri replied, “yes, and don’t call me, Shirley.” It turned out I had left Airplane mode on.
- I like to imagine that the guy who invented the umbrella was going to call it the brella.
But he hesitated.
- The umbrella was angry; it rained every time he went out.
So he stormed out and winded up leaving.
- An economist friend told me to put something away for a rainy day.
I’ve gone for an umbrella.
- I know a lot of clever jokes about umbrellas, but they usually go over people’s heads.
- My umbrella broke in half.
But that’s OK; there’s only a 50% chance of rain.
- Why does Santa have a huge umbrella?
Because of all the rain, dear.
- My wife bought me an expensive umbrella, and she’s been holding it over my head ever since.
- People with umbrellas on a sunny day are up to something shady.
Riddles about umbrellas
- When does a detective carry an umbrella?
When he’s undercover.
- How can four people go out with only one umbrella and not get wet?
It isn’t raining.
- Why would you want a chicken proof umbrella?
To use when the weather is fowl.
- What sort of pub should you take an umbrella to?
- Why do people in cities often carry umbrellas?
Because umbrellas can’t walk.
- Why did the umbrella go to the therapist?
It had trouble opening up.
Puns about umbrellas
- What do you call Paddington without an umbrella?
A drizzly bear.
- Why don’t Angels use umbrellas?
Because they’re too holy.
- What do you call a parrot with an umbrella?
- When can three elephants stand under one umbrella and not get wet?
When it’s not raining.
- Why did the man put his umbrella away and open his wallet?
He was hoping for some change in the weather.
- Why did Snoop Dog bring an umbrella?
- Let a smile be your umbrella, and you’ll end up with a face full of rain.
- Don’t let a man put anything over on you except an umbrella.
- No relationship is all sunshine, but two people can share one umbrella and survive the storm together.
- The mind is like an umbrella. It’s most useful when open.
- Prayer is asking for rain, and faith is carrying the umbrella.
- Open your umbrella of creativity when the glaring heat of adversity hits you unaware.
- A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining but wants it back the minute it begins to rain.
- When you are caught in the heavy rains of anger, open the umbrella of mind, take refuge under the roof of reason!
Mehmet Murat Ildan
- Going around under an umbrella interferes with one’s looking up at the sky.
- But such a tiny and trivial thing as an umbrella can deprive you of the sight of such a stupendous fact as the sun.Meher Baba
- I really like umbrellas. It’s like, I have a roof! I carry it with me! Umbrellas always amuse me.
- An open umbrella is just a closed beautiful sky.
- Umbrella is comfort; rain is life! You must often leave comfort to touch the life!
Mehmet Murat Ildan
- It’s a big enough umbrella, but it’s always me that ends up getting wet.
- I didn’t invent the rainy day. I just own the best umbrella.
- Umbrellas are so small and sad and easy to forget.
- Girl, it’s an umbrella, not a Lamborghini.
- Illusions are like umbrellas—you no sooner get them than you lose them, and the loss always leaves a little painful wound.
W. Somerset Maugham
- We cannot protect ourselves from trouble, but we can dance through the puddles of life with a rainbow smile, twirling the only umbrella we need—the umbrella of God’s love.
- Rain is nature’s art; an umbrella is man’s art. When you walk with your umbrella on a rainy day, you walk with a super art, which is a combination of two different arts!
Mehmet Murat Ildan
- Love me. Love my umbrella.
- Worrying is stupid. It’s like walking around with an umbrella waiting for it to rain.
Captions for Instagram
- That’s shady.
- You are always welcome under my umbrella.
- Wait for it.
- Stay cool.
- I love rain.
- Thank you for being my umbrella.
- It’s raining, men.
- Bring the rain.
- Smile when it’s raining.
- You can stand under my umbrella.
- Please do not disturb my pool daze.
- Rainy day protection.
- Makin’ it rain.
- Please don’t rain on my parade.
- Can I get a drink with this umbrella?
- Beat the heat.
- I like people who smile when it’s raining.
- Coffee, books & rain.
- If it’s raining, I ain’t complaining.
- Rain, rain, go away.
- Be safe.
- Grace like rain.
- My umbrella’s built for two.
- Nothing makes me happier than rainy days.
Future dates for the holiday
Find out what day National Umbrella Day falls on this year with the chart below.
|Year||Date||Day of the Week|
It’s looking a little cloudy out, best you bring your umbrella on that walk.
You’re on National Umbrella Day – February 10 page.
You might like: