If you’re solving riddles for adults, we know you’re probably a kid at heart. Apart from being entertained, riddles, especially difficult ones, are very beneficial in many ways.
Riddles not only improve vocabulary and fuel reading comprehension, but they also allow the opportunity for us to think outside of the box and work wonders for the development of the mind.
This is because they force you to problem-solve and think critically which helps stimulate your brain and reduce the risk of memory loss later on. Have fun rattling your brain and trying to crack these riddles with answers!
Brain Teasers For Adult Riddlers
No one said these were going to be easy. Good luck!
1.) I can be crushed to pieces but only if I am given away first, I can be clogged and attacked but that’s usually my own doing. No matter how many problems I have, you wouldn’t dare let me go. What am I?
2.) People say I put doctors out of business, sometimes I am sour, sometimes I am sweet, I can be eaten and can also be drunk. What am I?
3.) How can you tell that Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune are about to get married?
Because they all have rings.
4.) What did the smelly feet and smelly shoes say to each before going to a long day walking?
5.) What food is so funny that it can be a comedian?
6.) I can be hot, I can be cold, I can run and I can be still, I can be hard and I can be soft. What am I?
Good Riddles For Adults With Answers
- How did Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune make up the solar system?
- What makes more as you take them?
- I have branches, sometimes a few and other times hundreds or more, but I have no fruit, trunk, or leaves. What am I?
- I am a beer yet kids can drink me and not get drunk. What am I?
- I am a ball that can be rolled but never bounced or thrown. What am I?
- What is the thing that you must give before you keep?
- What do a dollar and the moon have in common?
- People knead me to buy anything.
Tip: Try out some of these riddles before a brainstorming meeting to get folks thinking outside of the box.
Check out Good Trick Questions
- What vegetable is the king of rock and roll?
- What did Roger Rabbit give to Jessica Rabbit when they were married?
An eighteen carrot ring.
- What did the doctor prescribe to the sick lemon?
- I have no legs. I will never walk but always run. What am I?
- I have no life, but I can die, what am I?
- I have rivers but do not have water. I have dense forests, but no trees and animals. And, I have cities, but no people live in those cities. What am I?
Check out Easy Riddles With Answers.
Grown-Up Riddles Funny
- I never ask questions, but always answered. What am I?
Show Answer: A doorbell.
- I was born big, but as the day passes, as I get older, I become small. What am I?
- I will always come, never arrive today. What am I?
- I am full of keys, but I cannot open any doors. What am I?
Show Answer: A piano.
- How do shells get around in the ocean?
A taxi crab.
- What has 88 teeth but never brushes them?
Hard to Solve Puzzlers
These riddles for adults may produce a few groans… just warning you.
- If someone robbed you in the shower, what would you be?
- What’s a plumber’s favorite song?
“Singing in the Drain.”
- Which travels faster? Hot or Cold?
Hot is faster because you can catch a cold.
- I am a word. If you pronounce me correctly, it will be wrong. If you pronounce me wrong it is right? What word am I?
- I don’t have eyes, ears, nose, and tongue, but I can see, smell, hear, and taste everything. What am I?
- I do not have wings, but I can fly. I don’t have eyes, but I will cry! What am I?
- I do not speak, cannot hear or speak anything, but I will always tell the truth. What am I?
- I go around all the places, cities, towns and villages, but never come inside. What am I?
- I have lots of memories, but I own nothing. What am I?
A photo frame.
Tip: These brain teasers can be used as an icebreaker prior to a brainstorming session in a work environment.
- People always buy me to eat, but they never eat me. What am I?
- The one who makes me does not need me when he makes me. The one who buys me does not use me for himself or herself. And, the one who uses me doesn’t know that he or she is using me. What am I?
- When the water comes down, when it rains, I go up. What am I?
- What gets shorter when you add two letters to it?
The word “short.”
- What is something that is yours but is used more by people you know?
- You can break me easily without even touching me or seeing me. What am I?
- You will throw me away when you want to use me. You will take me in when you don’t want to use me. What am I?
- Two fathers and two sons are in a car, yet there are only three people in the car. How is this possible.
The three people are a grandfather, a father, and a son.
Hard Puzzles for Adults
If you’re looking for riddles for kids, you’ve come to the wrong spot. These riddles for adults are no walk in the park – good luck!
- I have no bones and no legs, but if you keep me warm, I will soon walk away. What am I?
- You see a boat filled with people. You look again, but this time you don’t see a single person on the boat. How can this be?
All the people on the boat are married.
- A girl has as many brothers as sisters, but each brother has only half as many brothers as sisters. How many brothers and sisters are in the family?
Three brothers and four sisters. (Do the math and it works out.)
- My first two letters signify a male, My first three letters signify a female, My first four letters signify a great man, and my entire meaning signifies a great woman. What word am I?
- Take away my first letter, and I still sound the same. Take away my last letter, I still sound the same. Even take away my letter in the middle, I will still sound the same. I am a five-letter word. What am I?
- A man is found dead in an alley with a dagger plunged into his head. The only evidence as to what occurred is an overturned table and 52 bicycles. What happened to the man?
Killed in a card game. (Bicycle is a brand of playing cards and 52 cards in a deck).
- A woman shoots her husband, then holds him underwater for five minutes. Then, she hangs him. And yet, ten minutes later, they enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be?
She took a photograph of him and developed it in a dark room. Then, the couple sat down for dinner.
Well, we hope you enjoyed these riddles and got the answers you needed! Most times, hard riddles have very simple answers. So if you managed to figure some of these out, we congratulate you!
Frequently, inspiration can come to you light a light bulb going off in your head. Other times, you may just be stumped. Continue to sharpen your mind sharp and have fun solving more of our riddles to come!
— Mike O’Halloran
Mike is a co-author of 4 trivia books for kids and founder of Greeting Card Poet.
You’re on Riddles for Adults page.
You might like: