Halloween sayings, quotes, and more for the spookiest of all days: October 31. Also, known as All Hallows Eve.
From ancient times, folks believed that this was the night when haunted and spooky things happened with great frequency. The tradition lives on today. For many kids, it’s the most popular holiday after the year after Christmas.
Spooky Halloween Expressions
- Best Witches!
- I’m a good witch most of the time.
- Park your brooms at the door and come sit for a spell.
- I love you just boo-cause.
- Chills and thrills.
- If the broom fits, ride it.
- Don’t be a scaredy-cat!
- Happy Halloween!
- There is magic in the night when pumpkins glow by moonlight.
- A grandmother pretends she doesn’t know who you are on Halloween.
– Erma Bombeck
- Witch and ghost make merry
on this last of dear October’s days.
- Halloween was confusing. All my life my parents said, “Never take candy from strangers.” And then they dressed me up and said, “Go beg for it.” I didn’t know what to do! I’d knock on peoples’ doors and go, “Trick or treat – No thank you.”
– Rita Rudner
- I’ll bet living in a nudist colony takes all the fun out of Halloween.
- Nothing on Earth so beautiful as the final haul on Halloween night.
– Steve Almond
Classic Halloween Quotations
- Tonight the Great Pumpkin will rise out of the pumpkin patch.
He flies through the air and brings toys to all the children of the world.
– Linus in “It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown”
- Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and cauldron bubble.
– William Shakespeare
- Shadows of a thousand years rise again unseen,
Voices whisper in the trees, ‘Tonight is Halloween!’
– Dexter Kozen
- When witches go riding,
and black cats are seen,
the moon laughs and whispers,
‘tis near Halloween.
- From ghoulies and ghosties
And long-leggedy beasties
And things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord, deliver us!
– Old Scottish saying
- There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people:
religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.
– Linus from “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown”
- Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortal.
– Emily Dickenson
Halloween Card Messages
- Scare up some fun this Halloween!
- Trick or Treat!
- Eat, drink, and be scary.
- Wishing you the best Halloween sugar high.
- What do the ghost, Jack-o-lantern, witch, and bat all have in common? Wishing you smile like a jack-o-lantern.
- Wishing you a night that is so fun it’s scary.
- Having fun on great pumpkin night is just a mandatory as dressing up.
- Get your candy on – and don’t forget the costume.
- A happy Halloween wish just for grins!
- As the sky grows dark and the moon glows bright,
strange creatures and critters appear in the night,
as the goblins growl and the werewolves whine,
hope that Halloween sends a chill up your spine!
- At this special time of year when jack-o’-lanterns glow, it gives a welcome chance to send a warm “Hello!” Happy night of nights.
- This is no Trick just a Treat for a special someone like you. (One of those Halloween sayings that is sure to win over even the toughest of customers.)
Halloween Notes for Friends
- Time for shivers, scares, and thrills, for pumpkin grins in windowsills, for black cats in the full moon’s glow, and a happy Halloween hello!
- A Merry Halloween. Wishing you a night filled with good old-fashioned fun.
- Hope your night is so happy, it makes you glow from the inside out.
- Happy Howl-o-ween!
- I am dying to have a great Halloween with you. Let’s get some candy!
- The skeleton laughed at this message. It tickled his funny bone.
- Have a killer Halloween!
- The dentist knows that the scariest thing that can happen on Halloween night is eating all the candy without brushing your teeth.
- Gho-stylin’ this Halloween. Wear some spooky BOOts.
- Even those who are merely beautiful on the inside can be adored on Halloween.
- I am hoping you have a great Halloween. Stay safe.
- Halloween is a great time to dress up and have a little fun. Happy Halloween.
- Wishing you a great fall season. Stay warm and cozy.
- Have a spooky time on Halloween. Don’t get too scared though.
- Your dentist told me to tell you not to eat too much candy this Halloween.
- Eat lots of candy this Halloween. Have a blast getting scared.
- Have fun dressing up, getting candy, and getting scared. Wishing you a fun Halloween.
- Hope your Halloween is fun and spooky. Eat, drink and be scary!
- Everybody is scared of something. I hope you find yours!
- I’m dying to have a great Halloween with you!
These family-friendly Halloween sayings are great for neighbors, relatives, and business colleagues.
- Are you ready for some pumpkin smashing?! Have lots of spooky fun!
- Keep the lights on this night, because you never know what may be lurking in the dark. Halloween greetings!
- I hope your Halloween doesn’t suck like a vampire. Stay safe!
- Happy Halloween to someone I trust not to leave me for dead during a zombie apocalypse.
- I’m watching you to be sure you have a hauntingly great Halloween!
- May I borrow your face for a Halloween party? JK.
- I hope tonight amongst the pumpkins, you have a smashing time!
Funny Halloween Greetings
- These Halloween sayings work spooktacularly well in October.
- Blood donors needed. See the Count.
- Free Broom Rides!
- Broom Parking – 5 cents.
- Carve out some good times!
- Just hanging out with my ghoul friends.
- Remember the gh’oul times!
- Time for a coffin break.
- It’s Hallo-scream!
- Have a spooktakular good time!
- May your Halloween be scarier than what goes on every night on the news.
- Come as you aren’t.
- Forget the ghosts – beware of me!
- Ghosts have real spirit.
- Remember the days Halloween meant running as fast as you can for more candy. That’s what it’s still like at our house.
- Ghostly Greetings
- Tonight is a real treat.
- Have a frightfully spooky Halloween.
- Have a bootiful Halloween.
- I boo believe in ghosts. I truly boo.
- You are bootiful.
- Have a fang-tastic night.
- Gone haunting. Will return at midnight.
- I can’t stop falling in love with brew.
- I witch you a Happy Halloween.
- Trick or Treat. Smell my feet. Give me something good to eat.
You might like our Halloween jokes and one-liners.
Halloween Card Messages to put some fright in your night.
- Trick or Treat! Give me something good to eat – Give me candy. Give me cake – Give me something sweet to take!
- Happy Haunting!
- Sit for a spell and have some brew.
- Practice safe hex.
- The Ghostess with the Mostess
- Come in for a spell.
- Come in for a bite.
- Mind your mummy.
- I want my mummy.
- That’s witchful thinking.
- Free broom with flying lessons.
- Fangs for the memories and nightmares!
- You strike me as one of those people that hand out fruit on Halloween.
- The cobwebs are now decorations – come to our festive party!
- Bugs & Hisses to you!
- I see scary people.
- When cats prowl and pumpkins gleam, may luck be yours on Halloween.
- My other car is a broom.
- Living in a nudist colony takes the fun out of Halloween.
- I only spook when spooken to.
- Boooo spooken here.
- If the broom fits, fly it.
- Demons are a ghoul’s best friend.
- The graveyard shift is best. Make no bones about it!
- Happy trick-or-treating whatever you are.
- Jack-o-lanterns are on the cutting edge.
- Boo to you from our crew.
- You’re too cute to scare.
- Hang around for a spell.
— Mike O’Halloran
Mike is the founder and editor of Greeting Card Poet.
You’re on our Halloween Sayings page.
You might like: