National Milk Day is celebrated on January 11 every year. It is not to be confused with World Milk Day, which is on June 1.
Milk is in your butter, yogurt, lattes, cereal, and most likely in the whipped topping on your pies. The star ingredient in our favorite dairy foods, and it deserves a churn, I mean, a turn to shine.
Milk is a staple food packed with nutritional benefits and a long history in our diets. We’ll answer some questions about this national day, and we hope you’ll answer one for us too: Got milk?
When is National Milk Day this year?
National Milk Day this coming year is January 11, 2021. Here’s a handy reference chart for the holiday.
|Year||Date||Day of the Week|
How do we celebrate National Milk Day?
Here are some ideas for celebrating National Milk Day. Warning, some activities may be cheesy:
- Raise a glass of milk to the dairy farmers.
- Tour a dairy farm.
- Make your own cheese.
- Scavenger hunt with kids – see what items in your fridge contain milk.
- Make your own ice cream and top it with homemade whipped cream.
- Cozy in with a good book or movie and a warm mug of hot chocolate.
- Milk tasting – see if you can taste the difference between Skim milk, 1%, 2%, and whole milk.
- Read all about the nutrients in milk.
- Try a new milk product.
- Dunk cookies in milk. Drink and repeat.
Milk Fun Facts
- Milk is 87% water.
- The fat content in milk is what makes it white.
- French chemist and biologist Louis Pasteur developed the method for pasteurization in 1863, which kills harmful bacterias. This allowed milk to be stored for a more extended period of time.
- All mammals have mammary glands and produce milk, but two animals, the Echidna and the Platypus secrete milk like sweat on their skin.
- Dairy is consumed by more than six billion people worldwide.
- Batman drinks milk (at least TV Series Batman did).
- Milk is loaded with Vitamin A which is great for your skin and it also helps to keep immunity levels high.
- 65% of milk drank worldwide is from goats — not cows!
- It was on January 11, 1878, that milk was first delivered in sealed and sterilized glass bottles in the United States by the New York Dairy Company.
- 21 of 28 states that have an official state beverage chose milk for their’s.
Milk Instagram Captions
- Drinking happy thoughts.
- Just missing the cookies.
- Milk it for all it’s worth.
- A cold glass of milk is the answer to many questions.
- Sip, sip, hooray!
- Holy Cow!
- I’m in a good moooood!
- How Dairy?
- All you need is love (and a glass of milk).
- Udder deliciousness!
- The real Skim Shady.
- Smooth as milk!
Hashtags for Milk
Jokes About Milk
We hope you don’t find these too cheesy. Our intent is only to a-moos you.
- I bought some evaporated milk from the store.
When I got home and opened it, it was empty.
- What do you call a cow that doesn’t produce milk?
A milk dud.
- What did the mother cow say to her baby cow?
It’s pasture bedtime.
- Where do milkshakes come from?
- My friend knows I’m lactose intolerant, and he still brought ice cream to my party.
- Why did Romans bathe in milk?
They couldn’t find cows tall enough to shower under.
- What do you get from a forgetful cow?
Milk of Amnesia.
- Two cows in a field. One says, “Moo.” The other says, “Hey, I was going to say that.”
- Who were the first people to drink milk?
The first people to drink milk regularly were most likely early farmers in western Europe.
- Why do we drink milk?
Milk is an excellent source of protein, calcium, vitamin D, potassium, other vitamins, and minerals.
- How much milk does the average person drink?
The average person drinks 18 gallons of milk per year. The United States consumes 21 billion gallons of milk a year.
- How much milk can a cow produce?
Typically, one cow averages a milk production of 6.3 gallons per day and 350,000 glasses of milk in their lifetime.
- Do we use milk from other livestock?
Humans also utilize milk from buffalo, sheep, goats, donkeys, camels, reindeer, horses, and yak.
How to milk a cow video
Don’t cry over spilled milk.
If you want milk, don’t sit on a stool in the middle of a field in the hope that a cow will back up to you.
Everything gets better with milk.
Change is like a charging cow. Don’t ignore it – milk it.
Coffee in England is just toasted milk.
When the milk of human kindness turns sour, it is a singularly unpalatable draught.
Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.
Don’t cry over spilled milk. Turn the udder cheek and moo-ve on.
Skimmed milk was what they used to give to prisoners and workhouse inmates to go with their porridge and gruel. It’s a punishment, not a drink.
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
Thanks for reading. Now you can pour yourself a tall glass with a chocolate chip cookie because we think National Milk Day is a slam dunk.
By Lauren Paulsen
When Lauren isn’t writing about milk, you can find her teaching English as a second language. She has her Masters’s in Education and a love for learning. Some of her other hobbies include flipping furniture, exploring state parks, and guessing the endings of mystery movies.
You’re on our National Milk Day: Captions, Quotes, Fun Facts page.
You might like: