Kiss a Ginger Day occurs on January 12 each year in the United States. Celebrate the day by making your favorite ginger feel special and loved!
It’s estimated that gingers make only 2% of the world’s population – so show them how appreciated they are! Give your ginger friend or loved one a kiss on the lips or cheek. Or a small gift or note will make their day.
Take a look at these frequently asked questions for more details on Kiss a Ginger Day.
When is Kiss a Ginger Day?
Kiss a Ginger Day is celebrated on January 12 each year. For this year, Kiss a Ginger Day falls on Tuesday, January 12, 2021.
What does it mean when a person is a ginger?
People with usually pale skin and freckles, bright red hair are sometimes looked down upon by blondes and brunettes
Why are they called gingers?
People with red hair are called gingers because their hair color resembles the shade of the ginger root with its light orange with peach undertones.
Why do we celebrate Kiss a Ginger Day?
Kiss a Ginger Day was created in 2009 by Derek Forgie as part of a Facebook group established to push back against Kick a Ginger Day in November.
The infamous holiday “National Kick a Ginger Day” was inspired by an episode of the TV show South Park called “Ginger Kids.” Unfortunately, the satirical holiday gave cover to kids’ bullying and assaulting redheads in schools around the country.
How do we celebrate Kiss a Ginger Day?
Here are some ideas of how you can make the most out of Kiss a Ginger Day:
- Kiss a ginger to show they are loved (with permission, of course!).
- Post your favorite ginger celebrity on social media (see list below for ideas).
- Give a gift of candy or flowers to that special ginger in your life.
- Do something nice for a ginger. Offer them a meal, start a conversation, or just be a friend.
- Listen to ginger rock! Good examples of red-headed singers are Ed Sheeran and Florence & The Machine.
- Watch movies with ginger actors like Christina Hendricks, Nicole Kidman, or Emma Stone.
- Visit the hair salon for a fresh, ginger hairstyle.
These famous actors, musicians, and performers all have beautiful red hair:
- Emma Stone
- Isla Fisher
- Ed Sheeran
- Lindsay Lohan
- David Caruso
- Julianne Moore
- Prince Harry
- Alyson Hannigan
- Ron Howard
- Jessica Chastain
- Nicole Kidman
- Amy Adams
- Chuck Norris
- Seth Green
- Christina Hendricks
- Carson Wentz
- Eric Stoltz
- Debra Messing
- Marcia Cross
- Famous Disney characters with red hair include Princess Ariel from The Little Mermaid, Peter Pan, Jessie from Toy Story, Giselle from Enchanted, Princess Merida from Brave, Anna from Frozen, and Ellie from Up.
- Most people with red hair do not originate from Ireland, Scotland, or the Scandinavian countries. Instead, their genetic heritage traces to central Asia.
- Gingers have a mutation in their genes that protects the skin from sun damage. The result is pale skin, freckles, and red hair.
- Do redheads have a fiery temper? Well, actually, yes. Studies show their bodies produce a greater amount of adrenaline than non-redheads. This results in increased flight-or-fight response.
- Gingers around the world get two extra holidays each year. National Love Your Red Hair Day is observed on November 5, and World Redhead Day is May 26.
Jokes & puns
- Q: What do you call a ginger kid who’s good at karate?
A: The Carroty Kid.
- Q: What’s the difference between terrorists and redheads?
A: You can negotiate with terrorists.
- Q: What do you call a tall redhead?
A: A giraffe.
- Q: What do you call a red-haired baker?
A: A gingerbread man
- Q: How do you can start an argument with a redhead?
A: Say something.
- Q: What’s it called when two redheads have a kid?
A: Ginger bred.
- Q: What’s the most unrealistic part of harry potter?
A: A ginger with friends
- Q: What happens when you provoke an angry redhead?
A: Ginger snaps.
- Q: What’s the difference between a ginger and a calendar?
A: The calendar has dates.
- Q: What’s the difference between a Ginger and a vampire?
A: One is a pale, bloodsucking creature that avoids the sun. The other is a vampire.
- Q: What do gingers miss most about a great party?
A: The invitation.
- If you’re not dating a redhead, raise your hand. If you are, raise your standards.
- Chuck Norris is the only ginger that burns the sun.
- Only a ginger can call another ginger Ginger.
- Red hair, sir, in my opinion, is dangerous.
- Red hair is God’s way of giving the world roses.
- Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead.
- Red hair is great. It’s rare and, therefore, superior.
- I’m quite sexy – if you like gingers.
- When red-headed people are above a certain social grade, their hair is auburn.
- It’s impossible to hide as a redhead.
- You’d find it easier to be bad than good if you had red hair.
- Gentlemen may prefer blondes, but it takes a real man to handle a redhead.
- My favorite ginger is Prince Harry!
- Red hair is my lifelong sorrow.
- I’m half Scottish, half Welsh and I regard red hair as perfectly ordinary. And to set the record straight, contrary to reports, he has never referred to himself as the ‘Ginger Ninja’.
- If you want trouble… find yourself a redhead.
- Out of the ash, I rise with my red hair, and I eat men like air.
- I’ve had years of teasing about my red hair, but I definitely think it toughened me up. If you’re ginger, you end up pretty quick-witted.
- If you’re betwixt and between, trust the one with red hair.
- The sun on a brunetteʼs hair looks red. The sun on a redheadʼs hair looks like heaven on earth.
- Blondes are noticed, but redheads are never forgotten.
- If there is one thing of which I am most proud, it’s that I made being ginger cool!
- While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.
- We, redheads, are a minority; we tend to notice each other—you know, and notice our identity.
- I personally don’t think ginger men have a habit of being attractive. We have to make ourselves seem attractive by doing stuff.
- I love redheads. It’s not the hair color, it’s the crazy.
The Truth About Gingers Video
Redhead Captions for Instagram
- Red hair don’t care.
- Born into the 1%, whether I like it or not.
- Ginger lives matter.
- Stop killing gingers to make ginger ale.
- Ginger and proud.
- Takes shirt off at beach, bursts into flames.
- Ready for some fire?
- Happy Birthday, ginger snap.
- Made with 100% real ginger.
- Ginger Appreciation Society Member.
- They called me gingerbread. I called them an ambulance.
- Ginger ninja.
- Variety may be the spice of life, but ginger is the spice of desire.
- I may be a ginger, but I’m sexy.
- Fellow gingers unite!
- Little miss ginger.
- 100% pure ginger.
- Keep calm and hug a ginger.
- Don’t make me mad or I will ginger snap.
- Shine bright like a ginger.
- Authentic redhead — keep out of direct sunlight.
- Have no fear; the redhead is here.
- Ginger beard man.
- Save a blonde. Date a redhead.
- I’m not ginger. I’m strawberry blonde.
Future dates for the holiday
Find out what day Kiss a Ginger Day falls on this year with the chart below.
|Year||Date||Day of the Week|
That’s all you need to know about this celebration day.
— Emma Johnson
Emma writes about movies, entertainment, and pop culture.
You’re on our Kiss a Ginger Day – January 12 page.
You might like: