International Waffle Day is celebrated on March 25 each year. It has a fascinating history that promotes a delicious treat.
When is International Waffle Day?
International Waffle Day is designed to salute the breakfast staple, the waffle. It is commemorated every year on March 25. This year International Waffle day is Thursday, March 25, 2021.
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding waffles and International Waffle Day.
Where and when were waffles invented?
This is hard to answer since there are references to waffles back to ancient China. However, the waffles we are familiar with probably date to the fourteenth or fifteenth centuries. When waffles reached Eastern Europe, they became popular in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, and France.
How did International Waffle Day get started?
In the early 1600s, the Swedes embraced waffles and started eating them with fruits, jams, berries, and whipped cream. International Waffle Day was started in Sweden, but the exact year is unclear. The Swedes called the day Våffledagen for Waffle Day.
Why does International Waffle Day share its day with a religious holiday?
There was an existing Swedish holiday called Våfrudagen for Our Lady Day. This holiday celebrated Jesus’s Mother, Virgin Mary. Since the two holidays sounded similar, people began eating waffles on Våfrudagen. The two holidays were merged, and both days are now celebrated on March 25.
What are the favorite toppings on waffles?
In order, here are the top toppings to put on waffles:
- Maple Syrup
- Butter (Just butter)
- Fresh Fruit
- Nutella, Peanut Butter, Fruit Sause (Tied)
- Chocolate Sauce
How to make waffles recipe video
How do we Celebrate International Waffle Day?
With waffles, of course. Here are some ways you can enjoy International Waffle Day:
- Visit your favorite local Waffle House. Many restaurants that feature waffles have specials on International Waffle Day.
- Find a black and white picture of a waffle and have a coloring contest. The most vividly colored waffle wins a prize.
- Try a new waffle recipe like pumpkin spice waffles, red velvet waffles, or churro bacon waffles. You can find these recipes on the internet.
- Play a game of waffle trivia. You can find a lot of information on the internet or have friends come over with their cleverest waffle questions.
- Throw a waffle pajama party. Invite all your friends over for a waffle brunch and set up a waffle buffet for attendees to make their own creations. Give a prize to whoever can make the most outlandish waffle.
- Make some different shaped waffles. You can make circular and square, but there are also heart-shaped animal shapes and even Mickey Mouse.
- Play a waffle maker app game. My Waffle Maker App lets you create and decorate waffles. It is fun for kids and adults.
- Enjoy a plate of Chicken and Waffles. While this dish is currently enjoying a surge in popularity, the combination dates to the 1930s. It was served at a restaurant in Harlem called Wells’ Super Club. A favorite of Sammy Davis, Jr., and Nat King Cole, it eventually made it to Hollywood.
Fun Facts About International Waffle Day
- We have more than Thanksgiving to thank the Pilgrims for; they also brought waffles to the shores of the U.S.
- None other than Thomas Jefferson brought back waffle irons from France to make at Monticello.
- The shape of waffles inspired the soles of the first sneakers from Nike.
- Consumer favorite Eggo Waffles were introduced in 1953. They were created by successful businessmen and brothers Frank, Anthony, and Sam Dorsa. The waffles were a follow-up to the brother’s highly successful Eggo Mayonnaise brand.
- When Eggo Waffles were first introduced, they were not called Eggo Waffles. Originally, they were called “Froffles.” This was a combination of Frozen and Waffles.
- The word waffle is derived from the Dutch word for a wafer.
- There is a second waffle holiday, National Waffle Day, celebrated on August 24. This day celebrates Mr. Cornelius Swarthout, the first person in the U.S. to receive a patent on a waffle iron.
- The National Restaurant Chain, The Waffle House, sells one hundred and forty-five waffles every minute.
- The now delicious and well-known Belgium waffles were originally known as Brussels waffles.
- Waffles in Hong Kong are referred to as “grid cakes.”
International Waffle Day Jokes
Waffles are just pancakes with abs.
What is the best topping for waffles?
Stop waffling and open the door.
A waffle is like a courteous pancake… “Here, let me hold that syrup for you in these handy boxes.”
What did the manager of the Waffle House say when he ran out of waffles? Oh, how to waffle.
A baseball team and a waffle have something in common.
They both need a good batter.
The new chef at the Waffle House is a nightmare to work with; he is very EGGO-tistical.
What is the worst part about a waffle?
It is the only food that can’t make up its mind.
A diamond and a waffle have three things in common.
They both require heat, pressure, and time to be made.
Did you hear about the man who burned his fingers typing on a waffle iron?
He thought it was a laptop.
- What did the maple syrup say to the waffle?
I love you a waffle lot.
- Last night, I made a Frenchman talk nonsense.
At breakfast, I am going to make a Belgium waffle.
- A young boy was making waffle batter, and he suddenly ran away. Why? The recipe said crack two eggs and beat it.
- The pancakes made fun of a waffle by calling him what?
- How do you make a waffle smile?
You butter him up.
- If you are going to make a Middle Eastern vegetarian sandwich with chickpeas in a waffle iron, what would you call it?
- If you drop your waffle on the beach, what city are you in?
- Why was the pancake arrested?
It committed multiple unwaffle violations.
- Did you hear the story about the upset waffle iron?
He totally flipped.
- What does a Belgium golf pro use?
A waffle iron.
Captions for Waffles on Instagram
- Show me the waffle!
- Keep calm and eat a waffle.
- I want to eat my waffle in piece.
- Step away from the waffle.
- Every day I’m waffling…
- Waffles are pancakes with abs.
- Should I stay or should eggo?
- I’m sorry for what I said when you ate my last waffle.
- Do you want waffles with that chicken?
- Help…I can’t get out of bed, send medics, or better yet, send waffles.
- I am afraid you are beginning to waffle.
- Wake me when there’s waffles.
- That’s not a waffle; this is a waffle!
- Waffle Lover.
- I like hashtags because they look like tiny waffles.
- You just can’t beat a good waffle.
International Waffle Day Hashtags
Future Dates for International Waffle Day
|Year||Date||Day of Week|
Final Fun Fact
The waffle led to the invention of the waffle ice cream cone. At the 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair, a Syrian concessionaire named Mr. Ernest A. Hamwi was selling a crisp, waffle-shaped pastry called zalabis.
The vendor selling ice cream next to Mr. Hamwi ran out of cones. Mr. Hamwi took his zalabis and rolled them into a cone. Customers loved the new cones, and the waffle cone was born.
He loves waffles, no waffling.
You’re on our International Waffle Day Jokes, Captions, and Fun Facts page.
You might like: