Here are our collections of sympathy quotes for those difficult time periods when someone you know has experienced a loss.
Sympathy Quotations to Reflect On
- God is closest to those with broken hearts.
- I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought, and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love.
- I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge – myth is more potent than history – dreams are more powerful than facts – hope always triumphs over experience – laughter is the cure for grief – love is stronger than death.
- There are no goodbyes for us.
Wherever you are, you
will always be in my heart.
- May you see God’s light on the path ahead
When the road you walk is dark.
May you always hear,
Even in your hour of sorrow,
The gentle singing of the lark.
When times are hard may hardness
Never turn your heart to stone,
May you always remember
when the shadows fall –
You do not walk alone.
- Grieve not, nor speak of me with tears, but laugh
And talk of me as if I were beside you. I loved
You so – ‘twas heaven here with you.
Isla Paschal Richardson
- As you danced in the light with joy, love lifted you. As you brushed against this world so gently, you lifted us.
Sorry to Hear Quotes
- Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak whispers the o’er-fraught heart and bids it break.
- Although it’s difficult today to see beyond the sorrow, may looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow.
- Although the pain seems like it will never end, it doesn’t but I promise it will get easier to handle and deal within time. Also remember… although you loved them, God loved them more.
- As you comprehend this profound loss… let yourself cry knowing each tear is a note of love rising to the heavens.
To Reflect On
- Believe in Angels. They express themselves in many ways, a dream, a whisper, coincidence an overpowering feeling.
- How very quietly you tiptoed into our world, silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footprints have left upon our hearts.
- Each new life, no matter how brief, forever changes the world.
- Forever blessed by the memories you left behind.
- Friends are the pillars on your porch. Sometimes they hold you up, sometimes they lean on you, and sometimes it’s just enough to know that they are standing by.
Condolences Sympathy for Loss of Mother
- But she wasn’t around, and that’s the thing when your parents die, you feel like instead of going into every fight with backup, you are going into every fight alone.
- My mom is a never-ending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune.
- Grace was in all her steps, heaven in her eye, in every gesture, dignity, and love.
- Once upon a memory someone wiped away a tear, held me close and loved me, thank you, Mother dear.
- When you speak of her, speak not with tears, for thoughts of her should not be sad. Let memories of the times you shared give you comfort, for her life was rich because of you.
- A mother holds her children’s hands for a while, their hearts forever.
You might like Words of Sympathy & Condolence.
Sympathy Quotes For Loss of Father
- Your guiding hand on my shoulder will remain with me forever.
- Say not in grief, “He is no more,” but in thankfulness that, “He was.”
For loss of Husband
- As long as I can I will look at this world for both of us, as long as I can, I will laugh with the birds, I will sing with the flowers, and I will pray to the stars, for both of us.
- We’ve shared our lives these many years. You’ve held my hand; you’ve held my heart. So many blessings, so few tears – yet, for a moment, we must part.
For loss of Brother
A brother is a friend given by Nature.
For loss of Son
- To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.
- Earth has no sorrow that heaven cannot heal.
- May every sunrise hold more promise, every moonrise holds more peace.
For loss of Daughter
- Wishing you strength for today and hope for tomorrow.
- When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.
- My heart is with you in your time of sorrow.
- The guardian angels of life fly so high as to be beyond our sight, but they are always looking down upon us.
- Everyone copes differently, some cry for the loss of a loved one, others smile because they know they’ll see them again.
- While we are mourning the loss of a friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil.
- May the blessings of love be upon you, May its peace abide with you, May its essence illuminate your heart, Now and forevermore.
- If the future seems overwhelming, remember that it comes one moment at a time.
Beth Mende Conny
- We acquire the strength we have overcome.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
- May the stars carry your sadness away, May the flowers fill your heart with beauty.
Chief Dan George
- The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.
- What we have once enjoyed
we can never lose…
All that we love deeply
becomes a part of us.
It doesn’t end after a year, that’s a false fantasy. It usually ends when people realize that they can live again, that they can concentrate their energies on their lives as a whole, and onto on their hurt, and guilt and pain.
Let your tears come. Let them water your soul.
They say love beyond the world cannot be separated by it. Death cannot kill what never dies.
Like a bird singing in the rain, let grateful memories survive in a time of sorrow.
Robert Louis Stevenson
If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk in my garden forever.
Alfred Lord Tennyson
Mourning can go on for years and years.
Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know that are happy.
When a soul dies, the winds will blow. The greater the soul, the greater the winds.
When love is lost, do not bow your head in sadness; instead keep your head up high and gaze into heaven for that is where your broken heart has been sent to heal.
Tears are the silent language of grief.
Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendor in the grass, of glory in the flower. We will grieve not, rather find strength in what remains behind.
Wherever you are you will always be in my heart.
While grief is fresh, every attempt to divert only irritates. You must wait till it is digested, and then amusement will dissipate the remains of it.
You don’t get over it, you just get through it. You don’t get by it, because you can’t get around it. It doesn’t ‘get better’; it just gets different. Everyday… Grief puts on a new face.