Grab your gear and some food and water because this November 17 is National Take A Hike Day! This is among the most popular activities in the U.S. and is immensely beneficial. For more breathtaking information about the activity, read on!
When is National Take A Hike Day?
National Take A Hike Day is celebrated on November 17 every year. This year, National Take A Hike Day falls on Wednesday, November 17, 2021.
Read the frequently asked questions and fun facts below for more information about hiking and National Take A Hike Day.
What is hiking?
Hiking refers to the practice of going for long walks, particularly across the city, region, province, or country.
What is the oldest trail in the U.S.?
In America, New Hampshire’s Crawford Path is the oldest continuously used recreation trail. Established in 1819, this is an 8.5-mile long trail traversing a mountainous ridge. This converges with the Appalachian Trail and reaches the highest peak east of Mississippi, the summit of Mount Washington.
What are some benefits of hiking?
Hiking is one of the most beneficial outdoor activities, helping lower stress, improve mood, and enhance mental wellbeing. It also reduces heart disease risk, lowers blood pressure, lowers cholesterol, lowers fat, improves bone density, and improves osteoarthritis outcomes.
What are some popular hiking trails in the U.S.?
The 2,663-mile-long Pacific Crest Trail in California, Washington, and Oregon is the most popular trail in the U.S. This is followed by the 210-mile John Muir Trail in California and 3,100-miles Continental Divide Trail. This stretches from Colorado to Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and New Mexico.
The 2,185-mile long Appalachian Trail, covering 14 states from Maine to Georgia, is also quite famous. Finally, consider hiking along the Ice Age Trail in Wisconsin, 1,200 miles long and mind-boggling.
How do I celebrate National Take A Hike Day?
To celebrate the day, you can hike along one of the trails mentioned in the previous FAQ. Or, you can take a volunteer vacation, like the ones recommended by the American Hiking Society.
You can also encourage even more people to hike by posting on social media. Finally, you can get some friends to go along with you on a hike.
- Unlike most XTREME sports, like heli-skiing and rock climbing, hiking does not require expensive gadgets and shiny things. Nevertheless, if you do want expensive gear, that is available too.
- Hiking can increase the satisfaction of various dried foods and energy bars by over 35%.
- Bears spend their whole lives hiking.
- Hiking is popular among climbers, with many tracks ending at rock climbing destinations, like Castleton Tower and El Capitan.
- Hikes range in the distance from just a few feet to thousands of miles. This allows you to start low and build up to the more skill-requiring trails, like the Pacific Crest Trails.
- There are a ton of books about hiking, with popular hiking destinations, equipment, and techniques.
- Hiking is the fourth most liked outdoor activity in the United States, trailing close behind fishing, running, and biking.
- Switzerland features one of the highest densities of hiking trails per square kilometer over the world. To be precise, it contains 1.9 km of hiking trail per square kilometer of land. Even more surprisingly, in the Canton of Appenzell Ausserrhoden, the figure is 3.4 km per square kilometer.
- There are over 24 different kinds of hiking trails.
- Via Francigena, a 1,243-mile pilgrimage trail from Canterbury to Rome is the oldest hiking trail in the world.
- In the game of Scrabble, ‘hiking’ is worth 14 points!
- Technavio states that the hiking equipment and gear market is valued at over $12.24 billion.
- Research by Statista says that almost 50 million people went hiking in the U.S. in 2019.
I was annoyed when my mate turned up for a hike with two left hiking shoes. I had to give him the right boot.
My friend does not like the mountain. It was so unbe-leaf-able!
On my hiking trek, I met two stones. One was big and shy, but the other was boulder.
I asked my father how his hike was; he replied, “It had its ups and downs.”
My friend left the beaten path to go and explore the forest. She left a trail behind her.
We were determined to carry on our hike around the lake, come hill or high water.
I overheard the forest’s concern, “Are you oak-ay?” I replied, “Yes, I am pine. Why woodn’t I be?”
If my friends ask about my plans for today’s hike, I’ll summit up nicely.
During our night hike, we discovered so many fireflies at the top. It was a treasure highland.
The hill looked a bit hard in the beginning, but I got over it.
Did you hear the one about the hill?
I never could get over it.
Why did the queen’s husband go to the top of a mountain?
Because he was the high king.
Which is the laziest mountain?
Mount Ever rest.
What did the guide say when he left the hikers on their own?
May the forest be with you.
Why are mountains so funny?
Because they are hill areas.
Why did the boy throw the rock during the hike and not keep it as a souvenir?
He was not sedimental.
How do crazy hikers get out of the forest?
They take the psychopath.
What kind of jacket do you wear on a hike?
What do you say when it gets too hot on a hilly hike?
Hill out, it’s just half a mile away.
Why did William work on making paths and trails?
Because where there’s Will, there’s a way.
What did the quarterback say to the Scout?
I went on a hike yesterday, and you know what happened?
It peaked for the most part but started to go downhill from there.
Why do hipsters stick to backcountry rivers for hiking?
Because they are less mainstream.
Quotes About Hiking
Returning home is the most difficult part of long-distance hiking. You have grown outside the puzzle, and your piece no longer fits.
I’m an outdoorsy person. I really enjoy the hiking in L.A.
In all things of nature, there is something marvelous.
It’s not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Sir Edmund Hillary
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks.
There are two kinds of climbers, those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains and all the rest.
When I wake up every morning, I smile and say, ‘Thank you.’ Because out of my window, I can see the mountains, then go hiking with my dog and share her bounding joy in the world.
Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you are climbing it.
Hiking in undiscovered places is a lot of fun.
I usually find myself hiking in a place where not a lot of people go hiking, just trying to find some solitude. I like being out in the middle of nowhere.
For hiking is one of those things that you can only do when you have the determination in you.
I’m a huge camper, and love hiking and mountain biking.
Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence.
I love sports or hiking; you’ll always find me outside doing something.
Captions for Instagram
Never stop exploring!
Life is better in hiking boots.
A bad day hiking is better than a good day doing anything else!
The best view comes after the hardest climb.
Go where you feel most alive!
We have nothing to lose and a world to see!
Go wild for a while.
Hike more, worry less!
The mountains are calling!
Not all who wander are lost.
Adventure is out there!
Hiking is cheaper than therapy.
Take a hike and get lost!
To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.
Living the hiking life!
You’re on our National Take A Hike Day Facts, Quotes, and Captions page.
You might like: