The Great American Smokeout has to be one of the best-named celebration days.
Smoking is one of the most harmful acts and one of the most challenging things to quit. Therefore, to encourage more people to quit smoking, the Great American Smokeout is celebrated every November.
When is the Great American Smokeout?
The Great American Smokeout is celebrated every year on the Thursday before Thanksgiving. This year, the Great American Smokeout falls on Thursday, November 18, 2021.
These frequently asked questions and fun facts below will surely amp up your knowledge.
How to spend the day?
You can spend the day making a plan to quit smoking and join a support group. You could get rid of everything smoke-related, thus easing your way to quit smoking.
Moreover, you could help friends or family begin their quitting journey to quit smoking or spread awareness on social media. Finally, you can reflect on your previous quitting efforts and figure out what you did wrong. This will allow you to ensure the success of your efforts this time around.
How can I quit smoking?
It would help if you began by writing down when you smoke, why you do it, and what you do when you smoke. Then, you could try to avoid these triggers.
Before quitting, it would be best to stop smoking in particular situations, like during work breaks or after dinner. You may also make a list of activities to do instead of smoking, such as walking or chewing gum.
As well as that, you can ask your doctor about using nicotine replacement therapy patches, gum, or prescription medications. These will help curb your craving.
Join a smoking cessation support group or program. Finally, you can tell your friends and family about your plans to quit and ask them to support you.
When was the first Great American Smokeout?
The first recorded effort to get a group of people to quit smoking for a day took place in 1970 Massachusetts. The first nationwide Great American Smokeout, however, occurred later in 1977.
Harmful Facts About Smoking
- Tobacco use is the leading preventable cause of death.
- Smokers die ten years earlier than non-smokers on average.
- For each person that dies due to smoking, thirty people live with severe smoking-related diseases.
- Cigarette smoking causes 480,000 deaths in the US every year, with almost 41,000 from secondhand smoke exposure. This is nearly 1,300 deaths a day!
- Almost 5.6 million Americans younger than 18 years are set to die prematurely from smoking at the current rate. This is about one in 13 Americans below 17 years of age.
- Throughout the world, tobacco use results in seven million deaths a year. By 2030, the number is projected to rise to eight million.
- The total economic cost of smoking worldwide is almost $300 billion. Out of this, $225 billion in direct medical care costs for adults. $156 billion is because of lost productivity because of premature death and secondhand smoke exposure.
- $8.2 billion is spent on the advertising of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco every year. This makes it $22.5 million a day, or almost $1 million an hour.
- States get billions of dollars from taxes on tobacco products or money from lawsuits against cigarette companies to help smokers quit. Currently, however, just a small amount of this is used to prevent and control tobacco use. In 2020, for instance, states collected $27.2 billion in this way but just spent $740 million to encourage quitting.
- 13.7% of all adults in the US are smokers.
- Every day, almost 2000 people younger than 18 years in the US smoke their first cigarette. Three hundred become daily smokers every day.
- Smoking causes one in five deaths in the US.
Quotes About Smoking
I’m more proud of quitting smoking than of anything else I’ve done in my life, including winning an Oscar.
Believe you can, and you’re halfway there.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
Smoking kills. If you’re killed, you’ve lost a very important part of your life.
Today just might be the best day to start seriously thinking about quitting smoking.
Smoking is a habit that drains your money and kills you slowly, one puff after another. Quit smoking, start living.
People always come up to me and say that my smoking is bothering them. Well, it’s killing me!
I’m about as healthy as a person can be. I quit smoking seven or eight years ago.
I stopped smoking. When I stopped smoking, my voice changed so drastically; I couldn’t believe it myself.
Sayings to Encourage You to Quit Smoking
Our strength grows out of our weakness.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
It is now proved beyond doubt that smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics.
I thought I couldn’t afford to take her out and smoke as well. So I gave up cigarettes.
It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
Well, I quit smoking three weeks ago, and I had a hard day today not smoking.
You’re always better off if you quit smoking; it’s never too late.
Captions for Instagram
Believe you can, and you’re halfway there.
Burn calories, not cigarettes!
Be brighter; put down the lighter!
Put it out before it puts you out!
It’s never too late, in fiction or in life, to revise.
Cigarettes are killers that travel in packs.
The best way to quit is never to start!
Tar the roads, not your lungs!
Say goodbye to tobacco!
Don’t let your future grow up in smoke!
You’re on The Great American Smokeout Facts, Quotes, and Captions page.
You might like: