The brother and sister relationship is so important it merits its own day of recognition: National Siblings Day.
Let’s face it, our siblings might know more about us than anyone in the world. They have the inherent advantage of knowing us when we were young.
Let’s find out more about this day of celebration.
When Is National Siblings Day?
National Siblings Day is celebrated on April 10 each year. For this year, National Siblings Day falls on Saturday, April 10, 2021.
Wanna get ready to celebrate it? Well, we would suggest you to get to know more about this peculiar day from the FAQs below before you do.
Why do we celebrate National Siblings Day?
Realizing the importance of siblings in one’s life after losing her own, Claudia Evart started this trend in 1995. She chose April 10 for this because this was her sister’s birthday.
What do you do for National Siblings Day?
Because this day is meant to strengthen your bonds, people often celebrate it by taking pictures to remember each other. Moreover, you can play sibling games or simply create pictures of each other. If you like so, you can cook meals for each other and watch movies or tv shows together before ending the day with gift-giving.
What do I say on National Siblings Day?
No matter what you might say, make sure that it clearly reflects upon the love you have for your sibling. And, you must let them know that they can always reach out to you and that you’ll be there for them forever.
Including quotes or jokes would be a good touch as well. In case you can’t think of any yourself, just scroll below for some best ones.
What gift can I get for my sibling?
This is completely up to you but you will want to remember a few things. For instance, know that the price doesn’t matter but the thought does. So, rather than getting something expensive, you might want to consider your sibling’s hobby. Then, get him a gift that’ll remind your sibling of you and that he’ll be able to make use of.
For a sketch artist, you can get him a sketch or a pencil set. Similarly, for a violinist, you can get him the set he always wanted. However, if you can’t think of anything else, a personalized coffee mug with a picture of your family on it should be sufficient.
Fun Facts About Brothers and Sisters
- Unlike Father’s Day and Mother’s Day, Siblings day is not federally recognized.
- The day has been recognized by three US Presidents thus far; namely Clinton, Bush, and Obama.
- By now, 49 states have issued official proclamations to recognize this day in their states.
- Even though the National Siblings Day was first celebrated in the US in 1995, the Raksha Bandhan holiday of India also celebrates the brother-sister bond and began in 1905. Some others can be dated even further back.
- The bond between siblings is known to be the longest in most people’s lives; even more so than the one with parents, children, and the spouse.
- The Siblings Day Foundation was formed in 1997 and achieved its non-profit status two years later, in 1999.
- Carolyn Maloney added this to the US Congress’s official Congressional Record on April 10, 1997.
- It is estimated that over 79% of all Americans have at least one sibling.
- Various studies prove the youngest siblings to be the funniest as compared to the extremely serious older ones.
- Having opposite-sex siblings can greatly increase your chances of getting a date more easily.
- People with younger sisters tend to be way less stressed up and lonely.
- Over 10 percent of siblings tend to have their siblings as their best friends.
Parents are like, “I don’t have a favorite child” and then use one of your siblings’ birth dates as a password.
I had a fight with my siblings to which my friends said, “Wow, that must be some huge problem for you”, to which I replied, “It’s relative.”
My brother is my best friend until he tells on me. Then, he’s my brother.
What do you call arguing with a step-sibling?
Sisters are like psychiatrists. They have no choice but to listen to your whining then turn around and rob you blind.
Older siblings are like your parents’ personal science fair. They’re a bunch of experiments.
What’s the difference between the American Red Cross and your unemployed sibling?
When the American Red Cross bleeds you dry, you actually gain money.
I got a PS5 for my brother. Best trade ever.
Mom always said she didn’t have a favorite child, which was tough because I don’t have any brothers or sisters.
Quotes About Siblings
- The power of a sibling who knows everything about you, who knows the family you grew up in, who carries half your genes – there’s nothing quite like that.
- Siblings-the definition that comprises love, strife, competition, and forever friends.
- Siblings: children of the same parents, each of whom is perfectly normal until they get together.
- As siblings we were inextricably bound, even though our connections were loose and frayed. And each time we met, we discovered to our surprise and dismay how quickly the intensity of childhood feelings reappeared– No matter how old we got or how oft.
Jane Mersky Leder
- The mildest, drowsiest sister has been known to turn tiger if her sibling is in trouble.
- Brother and sister, together as friends, ready to face whatever life sends. Joy and laughter or tears and strife, holding hands tightly as we dance through life.
- Sibling relationships outlast marriages, survive the death of parents, resurface after quarrels that would sink any friendship. They flourish in a thousand incarnations of closeness and distance, warmth, loyalty and distrust.
Erica E. Goode
- Siblings are the people we practice on, the people who teach us about fairness and cooperation and kindness and caring – quite often the hard way.
- You may be as different as the sun and the moon, but the same blood flows through both your hearts. You need her, and she needs you…
George R.R. Martin
- Siblings: A combination of a best friend and a pain in the neck, they might be the most annoying people around you but you still love them endlessly.
Brothers and Sisters Sayings
The greatest gifts our parents ever gave us was each other.
We didn’t realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun.
Winnie the Pooh
Not always eye to eye, but always heart to heart.
Like branches on a tree, we grow in different directions, yet our roots remain as one. Each of our lives will always be a special part of the other. Unknown
Family is not an important thing, it’s everything.
Michael J. Fox
Is solace anywhere more comforting than in the arms of a sister?
Half the time when brothers wrestle, it’s just an excuse to hug each other.
Captions for Siblings, Brothers, Sisters
- Like sugar and spice, siblings make things extra nice.
- It’s OK to lean on your siblings in times of need, they have both the strongest and the softest shoulders to cry on.
- My big brother still thinks he’s a better singer than me.
- Siblings are put on this Earth to love, entertain, and annoy each other. It’s part of their job requirements.
- I smile because you’re my brother. I laugh because there’s nothing you can do about it.
- Because of you, I will always have a friend.
- When you’re laughing, I’ll be laughing, and when you cry, I’ll be crying with you because we are best friends.
- The greatest gift our parents ever gave us was each other.
- A brother is a friend given by nature.
- Because of you, I will always be Mom and Dad’s favorite child.
- The family is one of nature’s masterpieces.
- Because you’re my friend and brother (sister) you know how to make the best times better and the hard times easier.
- We may be identical on the outside, but everyone knows I’m the smarter one.
- Who needs a superhero when you have a brother?
- The only enemy that I can’t live without.
National Siblings Day Hashtags
So, give your brothers and sisters a call or pay them a visit. Let them know how lucky you are to have them in your life.
You’re on our National Siblings Day page.
You might like: