Be it maple-bacon or traditional glazed donuts, few people in the world can resist them. It’s precisely this irresistibility that National Donut Day celebrates. Let’s dig into it a little more!
When Is National Donut Day?
National Donut Day is celebrated on the first Friday of June every year. This year, National Donut Day falls on Friday, June 4, 2021.
Read our frequently asked questions to learn more about this sweet food celebrations day. Enjoy!
Is it Doughnuts or Donuts? How do you spell it?
Either version is acceptable. These pastries started off as doughnuts, but the variation of donuts is so popular that either is acceptable in today’s language.
Why do we celebrate National Donut Day?
Originated in 1938, this day was a way to honor the “donut lassies” of the Salvation Army. These volunteers were involved in the First World War and worked on providing comfort meals to the troops. Because of how easy and quick they were to cook, these people chose donuts as the most common food and would use helmets to fry them up, hence their title.
This was, at first, meant to help collect funds for the needy during the Great Depression, but donuts have become one of the most cherished foods. They are also often handed out for free on National Donut Day.
How to celebrate National Donut Day?
The best way to celebrate National Donut Day would be to hold family gatherings and eat as many varieties as possible. However, you can also post about it online, help support your local donut bakeries, or donate donuts to the needy. In case you want to, you can also fulfill the original purpose of funding the Salvation Army.
What are the best donut flavors?
Various researches have proven that glazed donuts are the most cherished ones in the US, followed by Boston Cream, chocolate frosted, jelly-filled, chocolate cake, maple, and blueberry.
Which donuts chains are the best in the US?
Krispy Kreme, Dunkin’ Donuts, and Shipley Donuts are known to be the best donut chains in the US.
Are doughnuts healthy?
Donuts are cooked with nutritional values in mind, and, therefore, you can easily find ones that fit your needs best.
Can you bake donuts?
Even though donuts are meant to be deep-fried, you can bake them as well but will need to fix the ingredient quantities accordingly.
What are each State’s Best Doughnuts?
- Ten billion donuts are made in the US every year!
- The city of Boston has a donut shop for every 2,480 people.
- Reneé Zellweger ate 20 donuts every day to gain weight for the sequel of “Bridget Jones’s Diary.”
- Americans consumed over 200 million donuts in 2020.
- The Guinness World Record for most powdered donuts eaten within three minutes is nine.
- The Dutch settlers used to call them “olykoeks,” meaning oily cakes.
- Donuts were initially made of fried dough, molded into random shapes.
- In geometry, the shape of donuts is called Torus.
- One of the most expensive donuts in the world, the Golden Cristal Ube, is filled with champagne, topped with 24 karat gold, and priced at $1,200.
Original Salvation Army Donut Recipe
Want to know where it all started? Below you find the recipe for making twelve Salvation Army WWI Donuts.
2.5 cups flour
2.5 teaspoons baking powder
⅛ tablespoon salt
One cup sugar
⅞ cup milk
Half tub coconut oil
Mix all ingredients, except oil, to make the dough and knead it before rolling it smooth. Now, cut it into 1/4-inch thick rings and deep-fry them, turning them over several times. Once browned, remove them and drip off the excess oil. Lastly, powder them, let them cool for a little while, and enjoy!
How did the strawberry donut feel after dinner?
What kind of windows do donuts prefer?
What did one donut say to the other?
I donut care.
What do you get when you plant a donut?
What did the donut say to the munchin?
Your complete me!
What’s the best thing to put in a donut?
What do you call a bakery that only sells donuts?
Riddles about Donuts
What happens when doughnuts join a sorority?
They have to go through the glazing.
What did the donut say to the loaf of bread?
If I had as much dough as you, I wouldn’t be hanging around this hole.
What is the best way to have a well-rounded diet?
Why are doughnuts so good at golf?
Because they always have a hole in one.
What do you call a cute donut?
What does a donut wear to a wedding?
What did the coffee say after the donut asked him a math problem?
I donut know.
Why did the baker stop making donuts?
He was fed up with the hole thing.
What’s a basketball player’s favorite donut shop?
Why did the donut go to the dentist?
To get a filling.
What’s a donut’s favorite day of the week?
What’s the healthiest part of a donut?
What nut is not gluten-free?
- My wife threw a doughnut at my head. Now I have a glazy eye.
- The donut shop got robbed. The burglars said they chose it because the shop was rolling in the dough.
- Today I bought a doughnut without sprinkles. Diets are Hard!
- My son was insisting that he should just have donuts for breakfast. I pointed out the holes in his arguments.
- I hate donuts without holes. They’re always so full of themselves.
- I eat a donut every day. But slowly I’m getting tired of the hole thing.
- Never insult a donut. Some of them have fillings.
- Vacationers spend too much time and money at donut shops. They’re torus traps.
- I took my donut back to the shop the other day because it had a hole in it.
National Donut Day Quotes
With a doughnut in each hand, anything is possible.
Donuts. Is there anything they can’t do?
I owe it all to little chocolate donuts.
That’s my favorite food group: donut. I love the donut.
The optimist sees the donut; the pessimist sees the hole.
Be sweet and honest always, but for God’s sake don’t eat my doughnuts!
If you stop eating donuts, you will live 3 years longer. It’s just 3 more years that you want a donut.
No, I gained weight while playing the role of Rodney Mckay on Stargate Atlantis breakfast burritos and a near-endless supply of donuts.
I’m not going to work in a place where I can’t eat donuts.
I’ve always loved donuts. I can’t go near one or eat one because then I’m just done for. I always want more.
If you’re talking about how you promoted synergy in an organization, that could mean you just got everybody together for donuts twice a week.
I eat donuts three times a day.
Sure, beauty has the power to excite men. But so does a box of donuts.
Susan Jane Gilman
National Donut Day Captions For Instagram
- How could I resist this bad boy?
- Donut worry, be happy.
- Oh, donut even!
- All we need is love and donuts.
- Donuts above anything else.
- Donuts are my love language.
- Whatever sprinkles your donuts.
- Here are a dozen reasons to be happy!
- Life is short; eat more donuts.
- Donuts are cheaper than therapy.
- I love y’all, but I love donuts more.
- One donut can bring happiness to many people.
- Sorry, these donuts are not for sharing.
- Stop and smell the donuts.
You’re on National Donut Day Facts, Jokes and Quotespage.
You might like: