Go bananas this National Banana Split Day with luscious chocolate and ice cream covering fresh bananas, topped with nuts and whipped cream. Not surprisingly, banana splits cost twice the price of a normal sundae and are full of nutritional benefits! Read on to learn more.
When Is National Banana Split Day?
National Banana Split Day is celebrated on August 25 every year. For this year, National Banana Split Day falls on Wednesday, August 25, 2021.
FAQs About Banana Splits
The answers to these frequently asked questions will help you get to know more about the delicious dessert.
Banana splits were invented at the Tassel Pharmacy, located in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, in 1904, by David Evans Strickler.
This banana split name was taken because the inventor David Strickler split the banana from the middle to put three scoops of ice cream in between. Strickler also invented the boat-shaped dish that banana splits are now served in. This was to display his famed dessert, and he named it “banana boat.”
Using 33,000 bananas, 150 gallons of chocolate syrup, and 2,500 gallons of ice creams, Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, made a 4.5-mile banana split. This helped regain a place in the Guinness Book of World Records.
When it comes to banana splits, you can use any toppings from fresh fruit to marshmallow creme, cookie crumbles, chocolate chips, coconuts, candy bars, or even spices. Nuts are a favorite, as well. A mix of graham crackers, chocolate syrup, and whipped cream is a fan favorite. And, don’t forget those cherries on top!
What should I do on National Banana Split Day?
To celebrate the dessert, the best thing to do is make one yourself and enjoy it with your friends.
You may also plan games or try new ways to cook. For instance, you can fry the bananas and dust them with cinnamon and sugar, Or you can caramelize them, freeze them, and dip the bananas in chocolate. You can also blend all the ingredients for a frosty treat!
Are banana splits healthy?
While the ice cream and chocolate contain lots of fat, the banana portion of banana splits is actually quite nutritious. Bananas especially include nutrients like potassium, carbohydrates, Vitamins, fiber, natural sugar, and protein.
Check out our National Ice Cream Cone Day page.
- Originally, banana splits were sold to customers for about 10 cents, double the price of most other sundaes at the time.
- The national-level popularity of banana splits is often credited to the Walgreen drug stores. These were operated by Charles Rudolph Walgreens in Chicago and promoted banana split as their signature dessert.
- Latrobe, Pennsylvania still celebrates the annual Great American Banana Split Festival.
- Tryptophan in bananas is a natural mood enhancer and instantly relaxes the body and mind. Similarly, the Vitamin B constituents help calm the nervous system.
- Banana Splits Adventure Hour was an hour-long television program featuring The Banana Splits. This was a fictional rock band consisting of four funny animal characters and the show ran on NBC Saturday mornings from 1968 to 1970.
- Because of their potassium, Vitamin C, and fiber content, bananas can also improve the look of the skin.
Banana and Banana Split Jokes
Why did the banana go to the doctor?
Because he wasn’t peeling well.
Why was the banana so upset?
Someone mistook him for a plantain!
Why don’t bananas snore?
Because they don’t want to wake up the rest of the bunch.
Why do bananas use sunblock?
Because otherwise, they’d peel.
Why did the banana go out with the prune?
Because he couldn’t find a date.
What do you call a banana who gets all the girls?
A banana smoothie.
Why couldn’t the whipped cream find the banana at the party?
Why couldn’t the banana yell high?
Because it could only yellow.
How is a banana peel on the floor like music?
Because if you don’t C sharp, you’ll B flat.
What happens when a boy banana and a girl banana break up?
A banana split.
What kind of school do bananas go to?
Why did the banana have to go to the hair salon?
Because she had split ends.
Why did they cancel the ice cream social?
The banana split with the ice cream.
Where do bananas buy their clothes?
The Banana Republic.
What did the banana do when he saw a monkey coming?
Why happens when you tell a banana a hilarious joke?
They break out into side-splitting laughter!
What is the easiest way to make a banana split?
Cut it in half.
What kinds of jokes do bananas like to tell?
What’s yellow and always points north?
A magnetic banana.
What is the key to opening a banana?
What is a ghost’s favorite fruit?
What fruit do sheep like the most?
How do you spell banana split?
- My friend asked me why I was walking around with bananas on my feet. I said they were my slippers.
- A friend keeps having nightmares about half-eaten bananas. We suspect it’s a mid-Fyffe crisis.
- “I am going bananas!” is what I say to my bananas before I leave the house.
- These banana puns are making me peel unwell.
- Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a Banana.
- Today I learned that humans eat more bananas than monkeys; I can’t remember the last time I ate a monkey.
- By hearing your suggestion, I’m peeling better now.
- I felt safe when I saw a banana skin on the path the other day. I was wearing a Slipknot tee shirt.
- She is the ripe one for you.
- Life is full of banana skins. You slip, you carry on.
- Any ape can reach for a banana, but only humans can reach for the stars.
- I used to have a banana fancy dress costume, but it split.
- She is quite peal-ing in front of others.
- A friend of mine is in an 80s tribute band who wears yellow metal plates. Banana Armour!
How to Make a Banana Split Video
I blow up fireworks all the time, and I love making milkshakes and banana splits.
I belonged in Idle Valley like a pearl onion on a banana split.
I believe in holistic medicine, yoga, Pilates, and so on. But I also believe in banana split sundaes every once in a while.
Angry Black White Boy is bananas! Actually, it’s a banana split with razor blades in it. Adam Mansbach is the white Richard Wright, and Angry Black White Boy is our generation’s Native Son.
William Upski Wimsatt
He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae or a banana split.
A book without potty humor is like a banana split without hot fudge. It can still be good, I suppose, but you kinda get the feeling that something is missing.
Only the smell of his place is familiar, syrupy with old delights as if the ghost of my first banana split had come close to breathe on me.
For lunch, my colleagues and I each ate the equivalent of a double banana split. I told my wife I had two bananas for lunch… I failed to mention I had to eat my way through five pounds of ice cream to get to those bananas.
Banana Splits for Breakfast. I think I ate about five.
With no pretensions of art, Viva Las Vegas, the new Elvis Presley vehicle, is about as pleasant and unimportant as a Banana Split.
Banana Split Captions for Instagram
- Let me peel this moment!
- That’s Bananas!
- The blend of perfect fruit and joy.
- Give me more!
- My day is made with banana splits.
- Banana Love!
- You will never know life is so good.
- Boundless excitement!
- I am bananas for my guy!
- Enjoy the precious moments with banana splits.
- Made with love added to the goodness of fruit!
- Splits are precious sometimes.
- Feel the magic of the banana split.
- Add more goodness to your life!
- Simply delicious and licking!
- The highlight of my life is the banana split.
- Enjoy the sheer goodness!
- I am stuck on banana splits.
- Think banana and tango have a banana split.
- Come to life with banana splits!
- Having an amazing banana split sundae.
By Finley McNamara
Finley writes about pop culture, movies, and entertainment.
You are on our National Banana Split Day – August 25 page.
You might like: