International Bat Night celebrates a wonderful and curious creature. While many associate bats with vampires, bats serve an important role in our ecosystem, and some are becoming endangered. Read on to know more!
When Is International Bat Night?
International Bat Night is celebrated on the last full weekend of August every year. For this year, International Bat Night will begin on Saturday, August 28, and end on Sunday, August 29, 2021.
The FAQs below are sure to boost your knowledge!
How do I celebrate International Bat Night?
The best thing you could do to celebrate the night is to raise awareness for the endangered bat species. You may also spend a night out in the woods and spot various bats. Finally, you can help out by donating funds to organizations trying to help conserve bat species.
How long does a bat live for?
Bats live in roofs or holes to avoid light and normally survive for around five years. However, they can live for up to 30 years.
Do bats drink blood?
Vampire bats have the distinction of being the only mammals that feed completely on blood.
Are bats aggressive?
All bats avoid humans by taking flight and are not aggressive. They mostly use their small teeth to grind up insects.
Why do bats hang upside down?
Due to their unique abilities, bats can roost in places out of predators’ reach. They also hang upside down with the wings draped around the bodies to hibernate and upon death.
What are bats afraid of?
Because their noses are really sensitive, strong scents often scare off bats. To get rid of them, cinnamon, cloves, eucalyptus, and peppermint are often recommended.
Fun Facts About Bats
- Bats are the only mammals that can fly.
- With 1,400 species, bats make up almost one-quarter of the world’s mammals.
- While some bats fly at around 60 mph, others, like Mexican free-tailed bats, can reach speeds up to 100 mph.
- Not all bats are nocturnal but some locate insects by admitting inaudible high-pitched sounds. They then use the echoes, something called echolocation.
- Bats often consume their body weight in insects, and, therefore, can eat up to 1,200 mosquitoes an hour.
- In the US, around half of the bat species are either listed as endangered or in severe decline. This is due to habitat loss and the white-nose syndrome.
- Baby bats are called pups and most bats have just one pup a year.
- Bat droppings are called guano and are one of the richest fertilizers. In fact, it was Texas’s largest mineral export before oil.
- Living on the islands in the South Pacific, “flying fox” is the world’s largest bat.
- Pallid bats are immune to scorpion stings, and, so, 70% of their diet can be scorpions.
- With millions of Mexican free-tailed bats, Bracken Bat Cave in Texas is the world’s largest bat colony.
- Over 300 species of fruit depend on bats for pollination, including bananas, mangoes, avocados, and nuts, etc.
- In 2006, a tiny bat from Siberia, having survived for 41 years, made the record of being the longest-living one.
- About 80 medicines have come from plants that completely rely on bats for survival. Through studies on echolocation, bats have also helped develop navigational aids for the blind.
The Evolution of Bats Video
Best Bat Jokes
What kind of bat can do a backflip?
What’s a vampire bat’s favorite fruit?
How do you make a bat stew?
Keep him waiting.
What do little bats eat?
What do you call a bat in a belfry?
How does a girl vampire flirt?
She bats her eyes.
What do you call a bat who gets charged up to fly?
What does a vampire bat call his best friends?
His blood brothers.
Which animal is best at baseball?
What is the first thing a bat learns at school?
Why did the bat want to get a job?
She was fed up with hanging around.
What’s a bat’s favorite dessert?
What do bats do at night?
Where do bats keep their money?
At a blood bank.
How do bats get what they want?
They bat their eyes.
What keeps bats going?
Why are bats like false teeth?
They come out at night.
What do bat friends do?
They hang around together.
What do you call a little bat?
How does a vampire enter his house?
Through the bat flap.
What do you get if you cross a computer with a vampire bat?
Love at first byte.
If bats could talk, what would they say about the coronavirus?
Now you know how it feels to have your world turned upside down!
What animals are best at cricket?
What did the bat say when the cat grabbed his tail?
That’s the end of me.
Where do bats get their education?
In night schools.
A guy ate a bat… And now I’m unemployed.
If you eat a bat, you get COVID-19. If you eat a crow, you get CORVID-19.
I made a bat joke; it went viral.
China should have a cricket team. They can take out the whole world with one bat.
Bats are like real-estate agents; it’s all echolocation, location, location.
One man cannot change the world… Unless obviously, he eats an uncooked bat soup, then by all means!
Some idiot attacked me at the local park tonight with a bat… I was really impressed at how well he’d trained it.
He who wants to fly like a bat must first learn to see in the darkness.
The eyes of the bat are hurt by the light.
You cannot be a mouse and bat at the same time.
More observant than a bat.
Three rebels against the light: the thief, the adulterer, and the bat.
No matter how big the butterfly may be, it cannot be called a bat.
Good Bat Quotes
For as the eyes of bats are to the blaze of day, so is the reason in our soul to the things which are by nature most evident of all.
The color of my soul is iron-grey and sad bats wheel about the steeple of my dreams.
Bats have no bankers, and they do not drink and cannot be arrested and pay no tax and, in general, bats have it made.
There cannot be found in the animal kingdom a bat so blind in its own range of circumstance and connection, as the greater majority of human beings are in the bosoms of their families.
Helen Hunt Jackson
The baby bat Screamed out in fright, ‘Turn on the dark; I’m afraid of the light.’
Twinkle, twinkle little bat. How I wonder what you’re at! Up above the world, you fly, Like a tea-tray in the sky.
There is another gentler side to these bats.
Dark creatures like bats have always been associated with vampires and using the darkness to their own advantage.
Bats drink on the wing, like swallows, by sipping the surface as they play over pools and streams.
I am really quite fascinated by echo-locating bats and dolphins and have always wondered how sound affects the unconscious brain.
The tendons in the bat’s claws make them clasp shut when bearing its body weight… even months at a time.
International Bat Night Captions for Instagram
- Such a haunt mess.
- Eat, drink, and be scary!
- Bat, not cat today!
- Today is not any night, it’s bat night.
- Sometimes you just gotta wing it!
- Hello from the bat fans!
- An unforgettable bat night.
- Don’t snack on me!
- I like bats and maybe three people.
- Bat is my spirit animal.
- Bats in your belfry.
- As blind as a bat.
- I’m just a little bundle of joy.
- Same bat time…
- I suffer from obsessive bat disorder!
- Stay spooky!
- Loving bats is my calling!
Future International Bat Night Dates
2022; from Saturday, August 27, to Sunday, August 28
2023; from Saturday, August 26, to Sunday, August 27
2024; from Saturday, August 24, to Sunday, August 25
2025; from Saturday, August 30, to Sunday, August 31
2026; from Saturday, August 29, to Sunday, August 30
By Mike O’Halloran
Mike is the founder and editor of Greeting Card Poet.
You are on our International Bat Night page.
You might like: