World Sleep Day is celebrated on the Friday before the Vernal Equinox. There is nothing better than a good night’s sleep and this day gives us an excuse to get one.
When is World Sleep Day?
This year, World Sleep day falls on Friday, March 19, 2021. World Sleep Day always falls on Friday before we celebrate the Vernal (or Spring) Equinox. The slogan for World Sleep Day for 2021 is “Regular Sleep, Healthy Future.”
Here are some frequently asked questions about the holiday.
Who Started World Sleep Day?
The World Sleep Society is credited with starting World Sleep Day. A group of seasoned health care providers put the first celebration together. The group established getting the facts out about the importance of sleep and wellbeing. It was a way to build awareness.
Why was World Sleep Day started?
The World Sleep Society felt that the best way to promote good sleep habits was to create a holiday that focused on sleep. The day before the Vernal Equinox was picked to remind people that on the Equinox, clocks “spring ahead,” and everyone gets one more hour of sleep.
When was World Sleep Day started?
Before they became known as The World Sleep Society, they were known as The World Association of Sleep Medicine (WASM). WASM started the first World Sleep Day on March 14, 2008, and the Society has been celebrating this day ever since. The slogan in 2008 was “Sleep well, live fully awake.”
Is sleeping good for you?
Getting the right amount of sleep is important for your health. People who do not get adequate sleep are more susceptible to obesity. Sleeping for short periods suppresses the urge to exercise and can lower fat-burning hormones. Also, good sleep habits tend to make you want to eat less.
A good night’s sleep can also improve your cognitive abilities. Concentration and productivity can increase dramatically with better memory and problem-solving skills. And it is not just your brain that benefits; athletic performance improves with the proper sleep. Muscles recover better, and strength and speed improve.
How to fall asleep fast video
How much sleep should you get on a regular basis?
For adults, it is recommended that seven to nine hours per day is an appropriate amount of sleep. This is where the eight hours of sleep per day come in. Approximately 1/3 of your active adult life should be spent sleeping.
What happens when you are sleep deprived?
It is estimated that the United States loses over $400 Billion dollars every year because of sleep deprivation.
How do we Celebrate World Sleep Day?
- Tell your friends and family about the importance of a good night’s sleep.
- Eat healthily. Healthy eating promotes good sleep habits.
- Practice meditation.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Make a donation to The World Sleep Society.
- If you feel like you could use one, take a nap.
- Take a warm bath before bed.
- Use aromatherapy to relax. The scents of Lavender, Chamomile, Orange, Jasmine, and Cedarwood are proven to benefit sleep.
- Turn off your phone.
- Have a sleep-inducing late-night snack like Avocado Toast, a Turkey Sandwich, Pistachios, or Tart Cherries.
Fun Facts About World Sleep Day
- There are four stages of sleep, and all the stages are key to healthy sleep. In stage one, you are barely asleep and may move or jerk as you are starting to relax fully. In stage two, your breathing and heartbeat slow while you continue to relax. Your body and brain become less active.
- As you enter stage 3, your body is heading for its deepest sleep. Your brain and body continue to slow down and relax, and it is harder for you to wake up. As you enter the deepest state of sleep, stage four, your body is working to heal and recover. This stage is the most important for rejuvenating the body.
- Finally, we have all heard of REM sleep. REM stands for rapid eye movement, and it is the sign you are in this altered state of sleep. Your eyes dart around behind your eyelids, and this is when you have your most vivid dreams. It is possible to have REM sleep in any of the four stages.
- As you get older, you require less deep sleep. This is due primarily to the fact that you are not as active as when you were younger. That said, there is nothing wrong with getting good prolonged deep sleep.
- When you are young, you need even more sleep because your body is growing and changing. Toddlers need as much as 14 hours, preschoolers, 13 hours, elementary school children, 12 hours, and teens, approximately 10 hours per day.
World Sleep Day Jokes
- Today is National Sleep Day, don’t forget to bring your pillow to work.
- Lack of sleep has left me permanently exhausted. What day is it?
- People told me to follow my dreams. So, I did; I went back to bed.
- If they call it “beauty sleep,” how come you look like a monster when you wake up?
- I stayed up all night trying to remember the word for staying up all night, oh yea, insomnia.
- Your brain never wants to sleep; all it wants to do is examine every decision you ever made.
- I once got arrested for jaywalking in my sleep.
- What is my dream job? A professional subject for sleep studies.
- I am so good at sleeping; I can do it with my eyes closed.
- My husband snores so hard; he sucks the curtains in his nostrils.
Puns About Sleep
- They shouldn’t call it insomnia; they should call it resisting a rest.
- What do you call a nun that sleepwalks?
A roamin’ catholic.
- Trying to fall asleep, I was counting sheep so much that I bought one. Now, I’m in a relation-sheep.
- What do you call a person who sleeps next to a close relative?
- You know you’re not a young stud anymore when a “Happy Hour” is a nap.
- My wife says that she does not snore.
She says she is nasally repetitive.
- What do you call a sleeping dinosaur?
- I am not an early bird or a night owl; I am a totally exhausted chicken.
- What do you call a sleeping bull?
- What pill do you give an elephant that can’t sleep?
Sleep Captions for Instagram
- Nap time is my happy hour.
- My mind says stay up, but my body says go to sleep.
- Live to sleep, sleep to live.
- I snore therefor I am.
- Sleep, wake up, sleep, repeat.
- I’m searching for sleep, but I can’t find it.
- My secret to a good night’s sleep is not to wake up.
- Sleep can’t make you happy, but it couldn’t hurt.
- I bought a new bed; I’m in love with it. I’m going to marry it.
- Sleep thou art a cruel mistress.
- Keep calm and sleep.
- The world would be a better place if we all slept more.
- It is all a bad dream.
World Sleep Day Hashtags
- Never waste any time you can spend sleeping.
Frank H. Knight
- Sleep is the best meditation.
- Goodnight stars,
Margaret Wise Brown, Goodnight Moon
- Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn.
- I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I’m awake, you know?
- A well-spent day brings happy sleep.
- Sleep is the golden chain that ties health and our bodies together.
Future Dates for World Sleep Day
|Year||Date||Day of the Week|
Shakespeare wrote, “sleeping is the main course in life’s feast.”
Tim likes to sleep. As a matter of fact, he is going o take a nap now.
You’re on our World Sleep Day page.
You might like: