Each year during the holidays, we celebrate Ugly Christmas Sweater Day.
Everyone has one in their closet, but few would care to admit it. A good Ugly Christmas Sweater can draw a smile or a smirk. A great one can get a belly laugh. They’re the perfect accouterment for a special Holiday Party.
When is Ugly Christmas Sweater Day?
Ugly Christmas Sweater Day is celebrated every year on the third Friday of December. For 2020, that means Ugly Christmas Sweater Day will be celebrated on Friday, December 18.
A look ahead at future dates
If you want to plan your party early, here’s a peek at the dates.
|Year||Date||Day of the Week|
How did the Holiday Start?
The Ugly Christmas Sweater trend started in the 1980s. Chevy Chase is credited with popularizing the sweater in the movie National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. It became the kind of an ironic statement to rail against all the grunge and punk black and gray clothing trends.
It’s believed that the first Ugly Christmas Party took place in Vancouver, Canada, in the early 2000s. The party was enjoyed by everyone, and it became a yearly event. Revelers were encouraged to wear their most hideous Christmas sweaters on Christmas Eve or party nights. Many used batteries to display tiny Christmas lights.
At some point, the day was named Ugly Christmas Sweater Day.
For Pets and Similar Items
Today, you can buy an ugly Christmas sweater for your dog or cat, or children. You can purchase a full suit or even an adult romper. There are wine bottle cozies designed to look like ugly Christmas sweaters.
There are gift bags with ugly Christmas sweater prints. You can find figurines, can covers, golf club head covers, and much more. There are even licensed sweaters from the NHL, NFL, NBA, and MLB.
Ugly Christmas Sweater Captions for Instagram
- Fleece Navidad.
- Joy to the Wool.
- The uglier the sweater, the better the party.
- I can’t tell if that ugly sweater is hurting my ears or my eyes.
- Believe it or not, we woke up like this.
- Rocking around the Christmas tree with this sweater.
- All I want for Christmas… well, it wasn’t this sweater.
- These sweaters look better when we wear them together.
- Up to snow good, again.
- Sleigh all day and all of the night.
- Comfort and joy.
- Be jolly by golly.
- Santa’s little helper.
- It might be cold outside but not inside with this sweater on.
- Underneath the mistletoe is getting crowded… just sayin’.
- Really sleighing it in this ugly Christmas sweater.
- It’s sweater weather!
- It’s a wonderful life.
- Have a cool yule!
- Christmas is Clause for Celebration.
- ‘Tis the season to sleigh.
- Bah Humbug!
- I should be down under the tree to remind everyone that I’m a gift.
- Dear Santa, define “good.”
- We’re saving Santa the trip by being naughty.
- A lost Claus.
- I chose this sweater over a fruitcake… go figure.
- Just here for Xmas cookies and milk.
- Some are born with fashion sense, others achieve it.
- Time to take an elfie.
- I believe in Santa just beclause.
- So, I pulled on some tinsel on my favorite Ugly Christmas Sweater and lost the top of the tree. Oops, wrong thread.
- My girlfriend is always wearing my t-shirts and borrowing my Ugly Christmas Sweaters. But I wear one of her dresses, and she’s like, “we need to talk.”
- I was asked to bring an ugly sweater to a Christmas Party, but my ex-girlfriend already had plans.
- All our sweaters are available in loud, kitschy, or gaudy.
- Life is like an Ugly Christmas Sweater. I want to get rid of it, but it would just make my Grandmother sad.
- All I want for Christmas is an ugly sweater, said no one ever.
- There are many kinds of vests that protect you. Life vests protect you from drowning. Bulletproof vests protect you from getting shot. Reflective vests protect you from getting hit when you are walking at night. And, Ugly Christmas Sweater vests protect you from women.
- Let’s celebrate. It’s National Ugly Christmas Sweater Day! Time to pretend you are wearing one ironically.
- Why do bears wear fur coats? Because they would look silly in the woods in an Ugly Christmas Sweater.
- An Ugly Christmas Sweater I bought was picking up a lot of static electricity. So, I brought it back to the store, and they gave me another free of charge.
Wengie “Ugly Christmas Sweater” Music Video
- Christmas waves a magic wand, and behold, and everything is softer and beautiful.
Norman Vincent Peale
- Purchase a special Christmas sweater and wear it often.
- The best way to spread holiday cheer is by singing out loud for all to hear.
Buddy the Elf
- There are more lights on that sweater than there are on your Christmas Tree.
- That’s not an Ugly Christmas Sweater. It’s a Craft Project gone totally wrong.
- Wear the ugly sweater, flaunt the ugly sweater, embrace the ugly sweater.
- If you are a dog and your owner suggests you wear an Ugly Christmas Sweater, suggest that he wears a tail.
Sayings on Real Ugly Christmas Sweaters
- Straight Outta North Pole!
- Merry Christmas and Happy New York! (Visual of King Kong wearing a Santa Hat on the Empire State Building.)
- Happy Pizzamas!
- Now That’s Ugly.
- Die Hard is an Elfing Christmas Movie!
- Merry Christmas and a Happy New Beer!
- Reindeer Tastes Just Like Chicken.
- Merry Christmas – Ya Precious Snowflake.
You might like Buddy the Elf Lines
Ugly Christmas Sweater Hashtags
It’s time to celebrate the holiday season, and no one is better at celebrating than celebrities. And they love Ugly Christmas Sweaters, Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest wear them on Live with Kelly and Ryan. Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds like to kid each other and wear Ugly Christmas Sweaters.
Big fans include David Beckham, Kevin Hart, Tori Spelling, Miley Cyrus, Mariah Carey, John Legend, Whoopi Goldberg, Meghan Trainor, Matt Damon, Kelly Clarkson, and more. Taylor Swift even celebrates her 30th birthday in an Ugly Christmas Sweater.
The bottom line, you can’t go wrong at a holiday gathering by wearing a truly Ugly Christmas Sweater. It makes a definite statement and will be a conversation starter.
– T. R. Moodie & Mike O’Halloran
T.R. Moodie used to have a bunch of Ugly Christmas Sweaters; he doesn’t have any now. He gave them to his children. His favorite featured “Spuds Mackenzie,” the spokesdog for Bud Lite and billed as “The Original Party Animal.” Mike’s favorite features “The Dude” from The Big Lebowski.
You’re on our Ugly Christmas Sweater Day page.
You might like: