Please contemplate these rest in peace quotes as a tonic for your grief.
It is challenging to go on with your day-to-day living if you’ve lost a friend or family member. Take some time to mourn your loss.
These carefully selected quotes provide some insight into the experience and, hopefully, some words of comfort.
Ten Good RIP Quotes
These rest in peace quotes were selected by the Poet’s panel as our favorites.
- Life has to end. Love doesn’t.
- Death is not extinguishing the light. It is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
- What we have once enjoyed deeply, we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.
- He died that day because his body had served its purpose. His soul had done what it came to do, learned what it came to learn, and then was free to leave.
- The journey doesn’t end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take.
- I’ll remember you. When I’ve forgotten all the rest. You, to me, were true. You, to me, were the best.
- Life is eternal, and love is immortal, and death is only a horizon, and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.
Rossiter Worthington Raymond
- Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul, there is no such thing as separation.
- For some moments in life, there are no words.
- Life is pleasant; death is peaceful. It’s the transition that’s troublesome.
Short Sympathy Sayings
These rest in peace quotes make economical use of words.
Life is stressful, dear. That’s why they say rest in peace.
To die will be an awfully big adventure.
In my end is my beginning.
Mary, Queen of Scots
Keep the door to her life open.
Edith Fogg Hickman
Grief is the price we pay for love.
Queen Elizabeth II
Every life is noted and is cherished, and nothing loved is ever lost or perished.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Turn your hurt into healing, your wounds into wisdom, and your pain into power.
We are born from a quiet sleep, and we die to a calm awakening.
Though death be poor, it ends a mortal woe.
The meaning of life is that it stops.
No one here gets out alive.
How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.
I still don’t know how to look at my life without seeing
an inescapable absence of you.
As is a tale, so is a life: Not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters.
Yea, all things live forever, though at times they sleep and are forgotten.
H. Rider Haggard
For life and death are one, even as the river and the sea are one.
If life must not be taken too seriously, then neither must death.
Death is beautiful when seen to be law and not an accident.
Henry David Thoreau
As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well used brings happy death.
Leonardo da Vinci
Death is the ultimate boundary of human matters.
Check out Words of Sympathy.
It is the fate — the genetic and neural fate — of every human being to be a unique individual, to find his own path, to live his own life, to die his own death.
Across the years, I will walk with you, in deep green forests, on shores of sand, and when our time on earth is through, in heaven too, you will have my hand!
You embrace death because life doesn’t exist without it.
Only a moment you stayed, but what an imprint your footprints have left on our hearts.
My religion is to live and die without regret.
Die happily and look forward to taking up a new and better form. Like the sun, only when you set in the west can you rise in the east.
Death is not extinguishing the light; it is only putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
Life is for the living. Death is for the dead. Let life be like music. And death like a note unsaid.
Death comes to all, but great achievements build a monument which shall endure until the sun grows cold.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Death is beautiful, part of life…No, it is sad. It’s sad when anyone dies. Even though every single human dies, so it’s really not that sad.
I don’t believe in happy endings, but I do believe in happy travels because ultimately, you die at a very young age, or you live long enough to watch your friends die. It’s a mean thing, life.
My sister, you are with me always – whether near or far. For you see, we’re connected by the heart.
Comfort and Consolation
Not everyone who died had left a memory, and not everyone who had left a memory had left a blessed one. Therefore, not all who have died should be tagged with a blessed memory.
Life can be so illogical at times. Today I am crying for the person who taught me how to laugh. You meant everything to me. Rest in peace, my dear!
Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal.
No one really knows why they are alive until they know what they’d die for.
Martin Luther King Jr
They that love beyond the world cannot be separated by it. Death cannot kill what never dies.
Let’s learn to live! Then there is no death, save the transition, when desired. Many live who have never died as yet.
I am trying to remember you and let you go at the same time.
Death is just another stage of life, although the one you kind of hope comes last.
After your death, you will be what you were before your birth.
Every man’s life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.
Solace and Support Quotes
What is lovely never dies, But passes into other loveliness.
Thomas Bailey Aldrich
Some people pass by, some people pass through, and some people pass on.
Johnnie Dent Jr.
In three words, I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.
To me, you were more than just a person. You were a place where I finally felt at home.
If you’re not ready to die for it, take the word “freedom” out of your vocabulary.
I’ll always remember the things you taught me and how much you loved me. Rest well, my angel.
The pain passes, but the beauty remains.
Pierre Auguste Renoir
I hope they find darkness or paradise without fear of it if they can.
The song is ended, but the melody lingers on…
The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Our dead are never dead to us until we have forgotten them.
Death is not the opposite of life but a part of it.
That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet.
If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them.
Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time.
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies, but not everyone lives.
We all die. The goal isn’t to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.
He who is not busy being born is busy dying.
As soon as you realize it was a gift, you’ll be free.
How can the dead be truly dead when they still live in the souls of those who are left behind?
The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there’s no risk of accident for someone who’s dead.
Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is just a passing shadow of a cloud.
The idea is not to live forever but to create something that will.
Darkness may hide the trees and the flowers from the eyes, but it cannot hide love from the soul.
I can’t hold the tears back. It wasn’t fair that your life had to end. I’ll always keep you in my heart. Rest in peace, my friend.
Comforting Messages for a Friend
- I wish this is a dream, and I wake up later, finding you beside me. Please wake me up from this nightmare!
- Friends are like brothers, as you were. Every time I blow candles in your sorrow, my heartaches. You were truly amazing.
- I can’t stop my tears when thinking about you. You had the best soul. Rest in peace, my friend.
- The shine in your eyes, the brightness of your smile, the goodness in your souls will always stay with me because you were a gem we had. Losing you is a huge loss to us all, and you will be missed.
- You were my soul, dear friend. I will miss making the crazy memories that we did. Rest in peace.
- Miss you, rocky. You are not more, but our memorable moments live on! Know that you’ll always be in my heart. Rest in peace.
- It feels like life has betrayed me, taking away you, the person I cared about most. I will never forget our memories together. Rest in peace!
- I thought the world of you and can’t bear having lost you so soon. Rest in peace, my friend.
- Hey. Rest in peace, knowing that you were the only one to share my happiness and sorrows. You weren’t only my friend but also a brother.
- I know that you are with me, here, even when you are gone. Rest in Peace.
- You are gone, but you will always stay in my heart, memories, and prayer. RIP.
- The heavens called you only because you are the loveliest person. We will all miss you.
- I would trade everything I have to bring you back. But some things are one-way, and you can never rewind them. Rest in peace.
- You had such a beautiful soul. Rest in peace, my love.
Rest in Peace Messages For Family
- You were the light of my life, and I will miss you more than I can tell. Rest in peace!
- You were my soulmate. There will be no one closer to my heart. Rest in peace, dear!
- Although we spent little time together, our bonding was great. You taught me the greatest lessons and supported me, father-in-law.
- Hi, uncle. You cared for us when no one else did and helped us achieve what we have. Love you so much. RIP!
- You were the best dad ever. You are in heaven now, and I miss you a lot. Rest in peace.
- Sending this heartfelt sympathy to the best person in my life. I will always love you, mom.
- I’m mourning and celebrating the time we shared. Your life was truly a gift to us. Rest in peace.
- Rest in peace, sis. Today is your birthday, and we are missing you. If you were here, we would celebrate!
- Only I knew how difficult it was to say goodbye to you. You were the most special person to me, and I feel worse than ever now.
- You were my strength, my encouragement, and the love of my life. I will always miss you. RIP.
- Today, with you gone, I feel like I lost my smile forever. I don’t know how I’ll survive without you. Rest in peace!
- I can’t imagine what you must be feeling, Dad. Undoubtedly, this is an irreplaceable loss for us. I hope grandma’s in a better place.
- Even though you were my nephew, we were always like friends. Rest in peace, my child.
- Father-in-law is like a father! As a father, you took care of us—Miss you, papa.
- Today is your birthday, but you aren’t here. We want to celebrate but can’t.
Empathy for a Loss
- A man might die, but his memories always stay alive with loved ones. May you rest in peace.
- There aren’t any goodbyes. Wherever you might go, you have a place in my heart.
- You will always be loved! Rest easy, pal.
- It breaks my heart to see you gone. It was an honor to share memories with you. RIP, sis.
- I will always treasure the moments we shared until we meet again.
- Dear brother, I will never let your memory fade.
- It hurts my heart to think about you but find comfort in knowing you are in a better place.
- You are in my heart forever. I can’t wait to meet you!
- Your absence is so painful. I will stay true to myself for you.
- You have always been my hero, the greatest person ever. Your legacy will never fade. RIP!
- Today, with you gone, I can’t find any happiness. I will miss you always. Rest in peace!
- Parting ways with you was the most painful thing. See you in heaven, granma. Love you!
- You lived an honest and elegant life and always kept your promises. Rest in peace, mom.
- I think about you daily and hope that you are in a better place, dad.
- Death may have taken you away but could never take away your memories. RIP!
- You were the light of my life, and I can’t express my grief at your departure. May God bless your soul!
- Dear husband, I can’t bear losing you so early. May you find peace and solace in the afterlife!
- With you gone, I can’t relax or stay happier. I loved how you cooked for me. RIP, grandma.
- I have to accept you not being around anymore and make a stand for myself. Nevertheless, I will miss you. RIP.
Captions for Instagram
- You are always loved and never forgotten!
- There are no goodbyes. Wherever you’ll be, you’ll be in my heart!
- May you rest in peace as memories of you live on.
- May the heavenly host guide you in peace.
- I know that your kind soul is in Paradise watching over us till we meet again.
- At rest in the arms of Jesus!
- Your memory will never fade.
- To the world, you may have just been somebody, but to all of us, you were the world.
- Rest easy in sleep eternal.
- Your death is killing me, day after day.
- Always on my mind, forever in my heart!
- Gone too soon.
- Life takes from us only the lives we were given by it. Rest in peace!
- May you rest easy in grace and love.
- To live in the hearts of those we love is never to die.
- I still get a lot of hugs, but none of them as warm as yours!
- Death took away not just my dad but also someone who was my unsung hero.
- My loss is Heaven’s gain!
- Memories will comfort me until we meet again. Rest easy dear one.
- I’ll miss you the most.
- Love you now and forever!
- Your footsteps can never be filled, nor your love is ever forgotten.
- Yours was a life well spent.
By Michael O’Halloran
Michael has authored five books. He is the founder and editor of Greeting Card Poet.
You are on our Rest In Peace Quotes and Messages page.
You might like: