One of the sweetest days to celebrate is National Cupcake Day. Cupcakes are adorable and delicious, which makes them irresistible. Small cakes in a single serving size — what’s not to like?
When is National Cupcake Day Celebrated?
National Cupcake Day is celebrated on December 15 each year; an unofficial national holiday. Sunday, December 15, 2019, will be the next National Cupcake Day in the U.S.
Cupcakes first came around in the 19th century. The first cupcakes were not frosted, but flavored with spices or dried fruit and cooked in cups. Early savory cupcakes were sometimes covered in lard or gravy.
The Hostess Cupcake in 1919 was the first mass-produced cupcake. The popularity of the cupcake soared in the year 2000. The first cupcake-only bakery, Sprinkles, opened in 2005 in Beverly Hills, California.
a.) There are over 400 cupcake bakeries in the United States.
b.) The record for eating the most cupcakes in the shortest time is 29 cupcakes in 30 seconds.
c.) The largest cupcake was made in 2009. It was 4 feet tall, weighed 1224 pounds and two million calories.
d.) There are more than 400 cupcake books.
e.) Over 770 million cupcakes were consumed in 2018.
What’s the difference between a Cupcake and a Muffin?
Cupcakes often have frosting, whereas muffins do not. Muffins often overflow their baking cup to create a mushroom shape.
Cupcake Bakeries Worth Visiting in The US
- Sprinkles – Beverly Hills CA
- Georgetown Cupcake – Washington DC
- Molly’s Cupcakes, Chicago IL
- Jones Bros, Omaha NE
- Baked, New York City
- Cupcake Bakery, St Paul MN
- When you hold a cupcake, sorrow disappears.
- Definition of a balanced diet: a cupcake in each hand.
- You can’t be sad while holding a cupcake.
- Cupcakes when you want to watch your weight, but still feel the pride that comes with eating an entire cake.
- Cupcakes are sweet and even sweeter when shared.
Marie Williams Johnstone
- Cupcakes and muffins are like twin sisters, one of whom makes no effort to hide that she sleeps around.
- Any cupcake consumed before 9 a.m. is officially a muffin.
- Making all my friends cupcakes for the holidays… the fatter they get, the skinnier I look.
- I thought clean eating meant mopping the floor while eating a cupcake.
- Money can’t buy you happiness, but it can buy you cupcakes.
- Happiness is only a cupcake away.
- Be a cupcake in a world full of muffins.
- If at first, you don’t Succeed, eat a Cupcake!
- A balanced diet is to keep a cupcake in each hand.
- A meal without Cupcake is like a day without sunshine.
- Cupcakes take the cake.
- I never met a cupcake I didn’t like.
- When stressed and in doubt, cupcake it out.
- When you frost a cupcake, you spread the love.
- Life is full of questions, cupcakes are the answer.M
- Making the world a better place, one cupcake at a time.
- Keep Calm and Eat a Cupcake!
- A bite of Heaven.
- Paradise in a cup.
- Sprinkled with smiles.
- A little sweetness of Heaven.
- A small, sweet treat that’s fun to eat.
- Live for glamour.
- Love at First Bite.
- Sharing Cakes Makes Memories.
- A little cupcake goes a long way.
- Cupcakes take the cake.
- Every bite’s a winner!
- You are the Icing on My cupcake.
- We’ll bake your day.
- The recipe for happiness.
- Sweets. Treats. Celebrations.
- Made with love.
- Life… A Little Sweeter.
Tips to Bake Delicious Cupcakes
- Use room temperature ingredients.
- Don’t over mix, or under mix.
- Use a cookie scoop so cupcakes are consistent in size.
- Allow baked cupcakes to cool on a rack.
- Don’t skimp on the frosting.
- Cool cupcakes, cover, and store at room temperature.
MJ’s Favorite Cupcake Recipe – Almond Joy Cupcake
- 1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 small pkg. chocolate instant pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
2 cups Melted Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, gently whisk eggs, oil, milk, sour cream, and vanilla extract together.
- Add cake mix and pudding mix, stir until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add shredded coconut and vanilla, mix again. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
- Spread topping onto cooled cupcakes.
- Smooth out the topping.
- Place chocolate melts in a microwave-safe bowl and melt and stir until smooth.
- Dip cupcakes into the chocolate and place an almond on top.
By MJ O’Halloran
Mary Jo has been making cupcakes for some 30 years from her home in St. Paul, Minnesota.
The Icing on the Cake
You’re on National Cupcake Day: Quotes, Sayings, Fun Facts page.
You might like: