These Maya Angelou quotes display the intelligence and poetic words of Maya Angelou herself. Maya Angelou (1928-2014) was an American author, poet, actress, performer, screenwriter, and civil rights activist. She is well-known for her several autobiographical books and volumes of poetry. Her most famous book may be I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.
As a child, Angelou experienced a horrible trauma that caused her to lose her voice for five years. She regained her voice through the expression of art: singing, dancing, and poetry. She was the first black woman director, taking on many other aspects of Hollywood. Angelou worked for civil rights, an editor at an Middle Eastern newspaper, and a professor at Wake Forest University. She’s received many awards including two NAACP awards, National Medal of Arts, and Presidential Medal of Freedom.
Inspirational Maya Angelou Quotes and Sayings
Angelou is an inspirational role model, and these quotes hope tell her story. We have chosen the best Maya Angelou quotes on love, life, wisdom, confidence, and women.
- I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but has not solved one yet.
- Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.
- Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.
- Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option.
- As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.
- When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. People know themselves much better than you do. That’s why it’s important to stop expecting them to be something other than who they are.
- I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.
- If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.
- The idea is to write it so that people hear it and it slides through the brain and goes straight to the heart.
- When you learn, teach, when you get, give.
- We are only as blind as we want to be.
- We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.
- It is this belief in a power larger than myself and other than myself which allows me to venture into the unknown and even the unknowable.
- It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength.
Maya Angelou Quotes on Love
- I’ve learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.
- Whatever you want to do, if you want to be great at it, you have to love it and be able to make sacrifices for it.
- If we lose love and self respect for each other, this is how we finally die.
- Have enough courage to trust love one more time and always one more time.
- Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.
- If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded.
- The desire to reach the stars is ambitious. The desire to reach hearts is wise and most possible.
- Each one of us has lived through some devastation, some loneliness, some weather superstorm or spiritual superstorm, when we look at each other we must say, I understand. I understand how you feel because I have been there myself. We must support each other and empathize with each other because each of us is more alike than we are unalike.
- My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return.
- You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.
- My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.
- Open your eyes to the beauty around you, open your mind to the wonders of life, open your heart to those who love you, and always be true to yourself.
- You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. Please remember that your difficulties do not define you. They simply strengthen your ability to overcome.
- Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away.
- No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.
- I’ve learned that making a “living” is not the same thing as making a “life”.
- My wish for you is that you continue. Continue to be who and how you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness.
Maya Angelou Meme
- If you’re always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be.
- Without courage we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can’t be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest.
- Stand up straight and realize who you are. That you tower over your circumstances. You are a child of God. Stand up straight.
- I got my own back.
- I respect myself and insist upon it from everybody. And because I do it, I then respect everybody, too.
- Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
- Let nothing dim the light that shines from within.
- I believe that every person is born with talent.
- Ask for what you want and be prepared to get it.
May Angelou Quotes About Women
- I am grateful to be a woman. I must have done something great in another life.
- A woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing. She goes where she will without pretense and arrives at her destination prepared to be herself and only herself.
- I would like to be known as an intelligent woman, a courageous woman, a loving woman, a woman who teaches by being.
- A wise woman wishes to be no one’s enemy; a wise woman refuses to be anyone’s victim.
- I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.
- You may shoot me with your words, you may cut me with your eyes, you may kill me with your hatefulness, but still, like air, I’ll rise!
- It’s in the reach of my arms, the span of my hips, the stride of my step, the curl of my lips. I’m a woman phenomenally.
You’re on Maya Angelou Quotes.
You might like: