These education quotes will give you all the reasons to realize the importance of education, learning and teachers in your life.
Inspiring Quotes & Sayings on Education
Education has become an integral part of human life – something as important as food, shelter and clothes. Education helps you evolve. It helps you think rationally and improves your position in life and society. An educated person is capable of leading a healthier lifestyle, makes his own decisions independently, follows ethical values, contributes to the society’s growth, and makes his community a safer and better place. Philosophers, leaders and men of science have always emphasized the importance of education in the society. Education removes all limitations and opens your mind to new possibilities and a better world. It is education that carves out a sculpture out of a stone.
The Best Education Quotes
- When one teaches, two learn.
- Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
- Children want the same things we want. To laugh, to be challenged, to be entertained, and delighted.
- One must be a student before one can be a teacher.
- One never learns to understand truly anything but what one loves.
- There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it’s going to be a butterfly.
- A very little key will open a very heavy door.
- Upon the subject of education … I can only say that I view it as the most important subject which we as a people may be engaged in.
- He who opens a school door, closes a prison.
- Knowledge, which is acquired under compulsion, obtains no hold on the mind.
- Children have more need of models than of critics.
- Our progress as a nation can be no swifter than our progress in education. The human mind is our fundamental resource.
John F. Kennedy
- By learning you will teach; by teaching you will learn.
- The secret in education lies in respecting the student.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
- When you make the finding yourself–even if you are the last person on Earth to see the light–you will never forget it.
Great Teaching Quotes
- Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence.
- Cauliflower is just a cabbage with a college education.
- A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every person leaves a mark.
- Correction does much, but encouragement does more.
- Teaching is the highest form of understanding.
- Learning is a treasure which accompanies its owner everywhere.
- A child educated only at school is an uneducated child.
- If you want happiness for a lifetime, help the next generation.
- My idea of education is to unsettle the minds of the young and inflame their intellects.
Robert Maynard Hutchins
- Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army.
- What we learn to do, we learn by doing.
- The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives.
Robert Maynard Hutchins
- Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.
- Example isn’t another way to teach, it is the only way to teach.
- Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of the originality.
Quotes on Education
If someone is going down the wrong road, he doesn’t need motivation to speed him up. What he needs is education to turn him around.
All who have meditated on the art of governing mankind have been convinced that the fate of empires depends on the education of youth.
What sculpture is to a block of marble
education is to the human soul.
Education makes a people easy to lead
but difficult to drive: easy to govern, but impossible to enslave.
The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows.
Sydney J. Harris
No man who worships education has got the best out of education…. Without a gentle contempt for education no man’s education is complete.
The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.
Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.
Nelson Mandela Education Quote
Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
The aim of education should be to teach us rather how to think, than what to think — rather to improve our minds, so as to enable us to think for ourselves, than to load the memory with thoughts of other men.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring; There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain; And drinking largely sobers us again.
All the world is a laboratory to the inquiring mind.
Martin H. Fischer
Maria Montessori Quotes
- To stimulate life, leaving it then free to develop, to unfold, herein lies the first task of the teacher.
- Education is not something which the teacher does …it is a natural process which develops spontaneously in the human being.
- The greatest sign of success for a teacher is to be able to say, The children are now working as if I did not exist.
- Never help a child with a task that they feel they can complete themselves.
Quotes on Schools
- A book is like a garden carried in the pocket.
- To see things in the seed, that is genius.
- It is in fact a part of the function of education to help us escape, not from our own time — for we are bound by that — but from the intellectual and emotional limitations of our time.
- Real education must ultimately be limited to men who insist on knowing, the rest is mere sheep-herding.
- Education breeds confidence. Confidence breeds hope. Hope breeds peace.
- The difference between school and life? In school, you’re taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you’re given a test that teaches you a lesson.
- You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives.
Clay P. Bedford
- Where are gone those older spirits in education who knew and taught boldly that school is an apprenticeship, and a hard one, for a life harder yet? and that prayer is necessary not to escape burdens but for strength the better to carry them?
Martin H. Fischer
- A man is never too old to learn.
- Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them to become what they are capable of becoming.
- You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself.
- If you are planning for a year, sow rice; if you are planning for a decade, plant trees; if you are planning for a lifetime, educate people.
- Every person of learning is finally his own teacher.
- If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- The more you use your mind, the more you’ll have to use.
George A. Dorsey
- My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself.
George Bernard Shaw
- To encourage literature and the arts is a duty which every good citizen owes to his country.
- The school is the last expenditure upon which America should be willing to economize.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Common sense is in spite of, not as the result of education.
- Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain at one end you lose at the other. It’s like feeding a dog on his own tail. It won’t fatten the dog.
- Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don’t.
- It takes ten years to grow trees but a hundred years to rear people.
- I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
- I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
- People learn something every day, and a lot of times it’s that what they learned the day before was wrong.
- I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book.
One learns by doing a thing; for though you think you know it, you have no certainty until you try.
Who dares to teach must never cease to learn.
John Cotton Dana
Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.
Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them.
Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence.
My grandmother wanted me to have an education. That’s why she kept me out of school.
Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
C. S. Lewis
A teacher’s purpose is not to create students in his own image, but to develop students who can create their own image.
I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.
A teacher who is attempting to teach without inspiring the pupil with a desire to learn is hammering on cold iron.
It doesn’t make much difference what you study, as long as you don’t like it.
Finley Peter Dunne
History of humanity is a race between education and catastrophe.
H. G. Wells
Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Quote about Education
Education is learning what you didn’t know even know you didn’t know.
Education’s purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Malcolm S. Forbes
Quotes on Learning
Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school.
Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. Remember that fear always lurks behind perfectionism.
David M. Burns
Personally I’m always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill
I learned most, not from those who taught me but from those who talked with me.
What we want is to see the child in pursuit of knowledge, and not knowledge in pursuit of the child.
George Bernard Shaw
The great aim of education is not knowledge but action.
When I approach a child, he inspires in me two sentiments; tenderness for what he is, and respect for what he may become.
Education is soul crafting.
If you think you can do a thing, or think you can’t do a thing; you’re right.
Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain — and most fools do.
Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher.
The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.
The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn, but to unlearn.
Do not train children to learning by force and harshness, but direct them to it by what amuses their minds, so that you may be better able to discover with accuracy the peculiar bent of the genius of each.
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.
Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is.
Quotes on Teaching
- We learn more by looking for the answer to a question and not finding it than we do from learning the answer itself.
- Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
- It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.
- Education is the key to success in life, and teachers make a lasting impact in the lives of their students.
- If a child can’t learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way they learn.
- The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.
William Arthur Ward
- The best teachers are those that show you where to look but don’t tell you what to see.
Alexandra K. Trenfor
- Education is understanding relationships.
George Washington Carver
- It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.
- Those who educate children well are more to be honored than parents, for these only gave life, those the art of living well.
- A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.
Henry Brooks Adams
- Teachers can change lives with just the right mix of chalk and challenges.
- Good teachers know how to bring out the best in students.
- People seldom see the halting and painful steps at which the most insignificant success is achieved.
Inspirational sayings for teachers to be posted in classrooms, in newsletters and more. Bring these education quotes to life by putting them to use.
Quotations for Teachers
What the teacher is, is more important than what he teaches.
Karl A. Menninger
It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.
They inspire you, they entertain you, and you end up learning a ton even when you don’t know it
A well-educated mind will always have more questions than answers.
The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called ‘truth’.
School is the advertising agency which makes you believe that you need the society as it is.