Our inspirational words in the form of quotes from notables were selected with the idea to lift spirits. There are ups and downs in everyone’s lives – that’s what makes it so interesting.
Part of the trick to a successful life is not dwelling too much on the negative. These thoughts and inspirations can help. Take a look and see if you find some inspirational words to elevate your mood.
Quotes to Inspire and Motivate
- When one door closes another opens. But often we look so long so regretfully upon the closed door that we fail to see the one that has opened for us.
- There is time for everything.
Thomas A. Edison
- Don’t bunt. Aim out of the ballpark.
- Misfortunes often sharpen the genius.
- My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.
- The essential thing is not knowledge, but character.
Joseph Le Conte
Do the Right Thing
- A good name will shine forever.
- A fair reputation is a plant, delicate in its nature, and by no means rapid in its growth. It will not shoot up in a night like the gourd of the prophet; but, like that gourd, it may perish in a night.
- The great hope of society is individual character.
William Ellery Channing
- Talents are best nurtured in solitude. Character is best formed in the stormy billows of the world.
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
- The ones who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
- Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream, precedes the goal.
Pamela Vaull Starr
- It is precisely the possibility of realizing a dream that makes life interesting.
- Problems are only opportunities in work clothes.
Henry J. Kaiser
- It is the surmounting of difficulties that make heroes.
- A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done.
- Wherever we look upon this earth, the opportunities take shape within the problems.
Nelson A. Rockefeller
- Seek not, my soul the life of the immortals;
but enjoy to the full the resources that are within thy reach.
- In teaching history, there should be extensive discussion of personalities who benefited mankind through independence of character and judgment.
- Don’t compromise yourself. You are all you’ve got.
- There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because his conscience tells him it is right.
- That which does not kill you makes you stronger.
- We always strive after what is forbidden and desire the things refused us.
- Sweet are the uses of adversity,
Which like the toad, ugly and venomous,
Wears yet a precious jewel in his head.
- A wretched soul, bruis’d with adversity,
We bid be quiet when we hear it cry;
But were we burthen’d with like weight of pain,
As much, or more, we should ourselves complain.
- Surmounted difficulties not only teach but hearten us in our future struggles.
- Adversity introduces a man to himself.
- Who aims at excellence will be above mediocrity; who aims at mediocrity will be far short of it.
Inspirational Words Meme
- The art of living lies less in eliminating our troubles than in growing with them.
Bernard M. Baruch
- Be your character what it will, it will be known, and nobody will take it upon your word.
- Character is what you think in the dark.
Dwight L. Moody
- Character is the result of two things: Mental attitude and the way we spend our time.
Character Counts Quotes
- Character and personal force are the only investments that are worth anything.
- Every thought willingly contemplated, every word meaningly spoken, every action freely done, consolidates itself in the character, and will project itself onward in a permanent continuity.
- A man’s character is like his shadow, which sometimes follows and sometimes precedes him, and which is occasionally longer, occasionally shorter than he is.
Madame de la Rochejuquelein
- Every man, as to character, is the creature of the age in which he lives. Very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of their times.
- Nothing of character is really permanent but virtue and personal worth.
- Character is like a tree and reputation is like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.
Good Inspirational Words
- In the absence of clearly defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily acts of trivia.
- Good fortune and bad are equally necessary to man, to fit him to meet the contingencies of this life.
Tip: Look for opportunities to include quotes and inspirational words into your everyday life, e.g., boilerplate of your emails, dinner time conversation, photo captions, and more.
Be Positive Quotations
- The rays of happiness, like those of light, are colorless when unbroken.
Henry W. Longfellow
- Look not mournfully into the past, it comes not back again. Wisely improve the present, it is thine. Go forth to meet the shadowy future without fear and with a manly heart.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- There is no excellence uncoupled with difficulties.
- Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes.
Henry David Thoreau
- Aspiring minds must sometimes sustain loss.
- Times of great calamity and confusion have ever been productive of the greatest minds. The purest ore is produced from the hottest furnace, and the brightest thunderbolt is elicited from the darkest storm.
Charles Caleb Colton
- The man of virtue makes the difficulty to be overcome his first business, and success only a subsequent consideration.
- Character is, for the most part, simply habit become fixed.
C. H. Parkhurst
- A gentleman can withstand hardships; it is only the small man who, when submitted to them, is swept off his feet.
- A problem is a chance for you to do your best.
- It is interesting to notice how some minds seem almost to create themselves, springing up under every disadvantage, and working their solitary but irresistible way through a thousand obstacles.
- There are two things to aim at in life; first to get what you want, and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind has achieved the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
- All sunshine makes the desert.
- It is not enough to take steps which may someday lead to a goal; each step must be itself a goal and a step likewise.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- Character is, in the long run, the decisive factor in the life of individuals and of nations alike.
- Little minds are tamed and subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise above them.
- Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win.
- A good archer is known not by his arrows but by his aim.
- Adversity is the mother of progress.
- Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- All misfortune is but a stepping stone to fortune.
Henry David Thoreau
- If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember everything.
- Character is the real foundation of all worthwhile success.
John Hays Hammond
- To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence.
- You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.
Henry David Thoreau
— Mike O’Halloran
Mike is an author and founder of Greeting Card Poet.
If you know of any inspirational words or quotes that would fit well here, please let us know via the Contact page. Thanks!
You might like: