Wine Quotes that Get Better with Age
Why is there an increasing interest in wine quotes? Vino was essential in facilitating dialogue in ancient Greece. It continued to hold the same importance over the centuries.
It became part of social settings where reasoned discussions were at the core of the social gathering. Whether it was politics, philosophy, or any other topic, it became an integral part of most such settings. It has always had a unique place in history – for the rich, the poor, the royal, and the commonplace – everyone!
So, if you’re of age and enjoy a glass (or two), pour a glass as you peruse this exquisite collection that gets better with age.
Quotes on Wine
Here are some of the most famous insights on the juice of grapes. Sometimes called “the grape” or vintage, this drink has fascinated folks from around the world for a very long time. It’s made traditionally from grapes, but berries and even dandelions can be a content source.
Funny Wine Quotes
1. Beer is made by men, wine by God.
2. I make vino disappear; what’s your superpower?
3. Vino…because no great story started with someone eating a salad.
4. Seven days without vino makes one weak.
5. Nothing makes the future look so rosy as to contemplate it through a glass of Chambertin.
6. The University of Nebraska says that elderly people that drink beer or wine at least four times a week have the highest bone density. They need it – they’re the ones falling down the most.
Check out Wine Fun Facts and Instagram Captions
Best Wine Quotes
7. Drink wine: it isn’t good to keep things bottled up.
8. It takes a lot of good beer to make great wine.
9. You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy wine and that’s kind of the same thing.
10. My only regret in life is that I didn’t drink enough Champagne.
11. Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.
12. The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.
13. I never taste the wine first in restaurants, I just ask the waiter to pour.
14. They say a glass is good for you. So two glasses must be better?
Good Wine Quotes
15. Wine is a living liquid containing no preservatives. Its life cycle comprises youth, maturity, old age, and death. When not treated with reasonable respect it will sicken and die.
16. A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world.
17. One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and – one talks about it.
King Edward VII
18. A gourmet meal without a glass of wine just seems tragic to me somehow.
19. Wine makes a man more pleased with himself, I do not say that it makes him more pleasing to others.
20. Wine can be considered with good reason as the most healthful and hygienic of all beverages.
21. Like human beings, a wine’s taste is going to depend a great deal on its origins and its upbringing.
Reflections on Wine
22. Wine is poetry in a bottle.
23. A man will be eloquent if you give him good wine.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
24. Wine makes all things possible.
George R.R. Martin
25. Either give me more wine or leave me alone.
26. Drinking good wine with good food in good company is one of life’s most civilized pleasures.
27. Being a wine enthusiast means you care more about quality than quantity.
Famous Wine Quotes
28. The first kiss and the first glass of wine are the best.
29. Better is old wine than new and old friends like-wise.
30. I pray you do not fall in love with me, for I am falser than vows made in wine.
31. For when the wine is in, the wit it out.
32. In wine, there’s truth.
Pliny the Elder
33. Wine makes every meal an occasion, every table more elegant, and every day more civilized.
Notable Quotations on Wine
34. Wine makes daily living easier, and less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance.
35. Be careful to trust a person who does not like wine.
36. There are moments, above all on June evenings, when the lakes that hold our moons are sucked into the earth, and nothing is left but wine and the touch of a hand.
37. Accept what life offers you and try to drink from every cup. All wines should be tasted; some should only be sipped, but with others, drink the whole bottle.
38. It’s a smile, it’s a kiss, it’s a sip of wine … it’s summertime!
39. Give me books, French wine, fruit, fine weather, and a little music played out of doors by somebody I do not know.
Short Wine Quotes
40. Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words.
41. Artists and poets still find life’s meaning in a glass of wine.
42. Wine gave a sort of gallantry to their own failure.
F. Scott Fitzgerald
43. You have only so many bottles in your life; never drink a bad one.
Len Evans, wine lover
44. What though youth gave love and roses, Age still leaves us friends and wine.
45. I like on the table
when we’re speaking,
the light of a bottle
of intelligent wine.
46. Penicillin cures, but wine makes people happy.
47. Wine is the most civilized thing in the world.
48. I have drunken deep of joy, And I will taste no other wine tonight.
Percy Bysshe Shelley
49. I am not old but mellow, like good wine.
50. If I could drink only one wine, it would be Champagne.
60. A bottle of wine begs to be shared; I have never met a miserly wine lover.
61. Compromises are for relationships, not wine.
Sir Robert Scott Caywood
Did you know that women are better at wine tasting than men? It’s all about smelling, and women have a better sense of smell. Read more Interesting Vino Facts.
62. Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin (Our Editor’s Pick for the best quotation.)
63. Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.
64. A bottle of good wine, like a good act, shines ever in the retrospect.
Robert Louis Stevenson
65. Beauty is worse than wine; it intoxicates both the holder and the beholder.
66. He looked as if he had been beaten to death with a wine bottle, but by doing it with the contents of the bottle.
67. I think it is a great error to consider a heavy tax on wines as a tax on luxury. On the contrary, it is a tax on the health of our citizens.
Great Word Pairings
68. Wine is one of the most civilized things in the world and one of the most natural things of the world that has been brought to the greatest perfection, and it offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than, possibly, any other purely sensory thing.
69. Wine brings to light the hidden secrets of the soul, gives being to our hopes, bids the coward flight, drives dull care away, and teaches new means for the accomplishment of our wishes.
70. One should always be drunk. That’s all that matters…But with what? With wine, with poetry, or with virtue, as you chose. But get drunk.
71. Wine to me is passion. It’s family and friends. It’s the warmth of heart and generosity of spirit. Wine is art. It’s culture. It’s the essence of civilization and the art of living.
72. There are days when solitude is a heady wine that intoxicates you with freedom, others when it is a bitter tonic, and still others when it is a poison that makes you beat your head against the wall.
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
73. Wedlock’s like wine – not properly judged of till the second glass.
Memorable Wine Quotes
74. Men are like wine – some turn to vinegar, but the best improve with age.
Pope John XXIII
75. In victory, you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it.
76. In wine, there is wisdom; in beer, there is freedom, in the water there is bacteria.
77. We are all mortal until the first kiss and the second glass of wine.
78. Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath, and a glass of wine.
79. Wine rejoices the heart of man, and joy is the mother of all virtues.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
80. I love everything that is old; old friends, old times, old manners, old books, and old wines.
81. Let wine be thy medicine and medicine be thy wine.
82. Wine can be a better teacher than ink, and banter is often better than books.
Wine Quotes By Famous Drinkers
83. O thou invisible spirit of wine, if thou hast no name to be known by, let us call thee devil.
84. Let us have wine and women, mirth and laughter, Sermons and soda water the day after.
85. Give me wine to wash me clean of the weather stains of care.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
86. Wine is sunlight held together by water.
By Mike O’Halloran
Mike is an author and founder of Greeting Card Poet.
If you have any suggestions for our Wine Quotes page, please let us know on the Contact page. Thank you.
You’re on the Wine Quotes that Get Better with Age page.
You might like: