Weight loss quotes are with us to stay because dropping a few pounds (or more) is a difficult thing to do.
So, when folks face challenges, more than a few are going to complain about it, and some are going to try to inspire others. From a quote gatherer perspective, that makes this category fertile ground for collection.
Best Weight Loss Quotes
Ugh! Stepping on the scale and seeing a result that you weren’t expecting means a couple of things: diet and exercise. As you’ll see from the quotations below, these two activities can be challenging.
Some authors choose the high ground with a sincere motivational approach. While others elect to address the drudgery of dieting and working out with comedy. Both can work. Both are worth reading.
I thought I lost weight once, but it turned out that my sweatpants had just come untied.
It seems sweatpants are the universal clothing item for those hoping for weight loss. If you’re heading to the gym or just want something comfortable to wear, sweatpants do the trick. So, funny weight loss quotes like this work because there’s a good chance you’re wearing sweatpants if you’re on a diet. When things are going well for you on a diet, one of the first things you notice is how much better your clothes fit.
I have been on a diet for two weeks, and all I have lost is 14 days.
It’s said that some 95% of diets don’t work. Either they’re just too hard to follow, or something’s wrong with the plan itself. Dieting can be frustrating. Time to commiserate with others. Just don’t do it over donuts.
Bigger snacks mean bigger slacks.
Talk about short and to the point. This weight loss quote is spot on. Portion control is a big part of losing pounds. Americans are accustomed to restaurant servings that would be better served to two people than one. Remember this image the next time you snack. A huge part of reaching your fitness goals is motivation. Weight loss quotes like these can help.
Definition of Dieting: Wishful Shrinking.
Yo-yo dieting refers to the fact that many dieter’s weight goes up and down. Some diets are just hard to sustain. But, as this dieting quote notes, hope is frequently strong. Don’t be a couch potato. Be positive. Eat well-balanced meals. To lose weight, you must first think that you can.
Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends.
Ouch! This one hurts because we know it’s true. The calories absorbed in some rich foods can throw your diet off real quick-like. Comfort eating isn’t the solution. Watch what you consume. It’s not all about crash diets. It’s all about eating healthy. Slim down in style. It won’t happen overnight, but a thoughtful approach works over the long haul. Weight loss motivational quotes can motivate with a carrot or a whip. This one falls in the whip category.
Eat To Live Meme
Thou shouldst eat to live, not live to eat.
Cicero encapsulated the overriding principle here: Food is a means to an end, not the end itself. Is it just me, or am I wrong in thinking that “should” needs to lose a little weight by dropping that “st” soon.
Fitness—if it came in a bottle, everybody would have a great body.
Leave it to Cher to let us all know that we live in a consumer-oriented society. Although the rich may have some advantages, when it comes to fitness, the level field is much more even.
Diets are for those who are thick and tired of it.
Mary Tyler Moore, you know the gal “who can turn the world ’round with her smile,” had this funny diet quote to share. An effective weight loss program starts with the right mindset.
If you wish to grow thinner, diminish your dinner.
H.S. Leigh had this winner (trying to stay on theme) of a weight loss saying. Some folks say, “Eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch, and a pauper for dinner.” I’m not sure if this is always the best advice for everyone, but a reduction in calories at dinner makes sense for a lot of us.
Our bodies are our gardens our wills are our gardeners.
Is there any topic that William Shakespeare didn’t cover in an eloquent way? From romance to friendship, and now bodies and fitness. Some of the fittest people are also very strong-willed.
Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
Well, apparently, Elizabeth Berg hasn’t had my Mom’s cinnamon rolls. But I get what she’s saying. It seems to me that if you want to lose weight, you have to really want to. You can’t just tip your toe in – you have to dive in and make a splash. Knowing how good it feels to be in shape can go a long way in making that commitment.
Inspirational Fitness Quotations
- Weight loss doesn’t begin in the gym with a dumbbell; it starts in your head with a decision.
- If it was about knowledge, we would all be skinny and rich. It’s not about what you know but what you do.
- If you have discipline, drive, and determination, nothing is impossible.
Dana Linn Bailey
- Most people give up right before the big break comes — don’t let that person be you.
- Keep your blood clean, your body lean and your mind sharp.
- To change your body you must first change your mind.
- Make time for it. Just get it done. Nobody ever got strong or got in shape by thinking about it. They did it.
- Someone busier than you is running right now.
- Working out is never convenient. But neither is illness, diabetes, and obesity.
- It’s going to be a journey. It’s not a sprint to get in shape.
Kerri Walsh Jennings
- I don’t work hard because I hate my body. I workout because I love it.
- The one way to get thin is to re-establish a purpose in life.
- Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.
- She’d even violated the only sensible rule of dieting she’d ever run across, the sage advice of the Muppets’ Miss Piggy, who recommended never eating anything bigger than your head.
- It’s not what you eat but who you are when you eat it.
- A diet is a penalty we pay for exceeding the feed limit.
- I feel about airplanes the way I feel about diets. It seems to me that they are wonderful things for other people to go on.
- Three months from now, you’ll thank yourself.
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst, for they are sticking to their diets.
- If you’re afraid of butter, use cream.
- Don’t dig your grave with your own knife and fork.
- My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people.
- Your stomach shouldn’t be a wastebasket.
Weight Loss Quotes
- Your faith can move mountains and your doubt can create them.
- Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- When you want to give up, remember why you started.
- Our past may explain why we’re suffering, but we must not use it as an excuse to stay in bondage.
- A year from now you will wish you have started today.
- If you can dream it, you can achieve it.
- Being challenged in life is inevitable. Being defeated is optional.
- We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be attained.
- The only bad workout is the one that didn’t happen.
- Think of that feeling you’ll get when you’ve reached your goal weight.
- No one wakes up in the morning and says, ‘I want to gain 150 pounds and I will start right now.
- And Yes, it is possible, and No, it isn’t easy.
- If I hired one of the stock boys to chase me around the store with a licorice whip, I’d be thin by Christmas.
Jennette Fulda (Weight loss motivational quotes can sometimes step over the boundaries of good taste.)
- It’s not about having time. It’s about making time.
- Nobody is perfect, so get over the fear of being or doing everything perfectly. Besides, perfect is boring.
Losing Weight Meme
Healthy Eating Quotes
- Eat responsibly. You don’t have to be a saint with your food, but you can’t eat like every day is thanksgiving either.
- Eating crappy food isn’t a reward – it’s a punishment.
- You don’t need a silver fork to eat good food.
- More die in the United States of too much food than of too little.
John Kenneth Galbraith
- I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.
- I am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles.
Laurie Halse Anderson (Inspiring.)
- Diet is an essential key to all successful healing. Without a properly balanced diet, the effectiveness of herbal treatment is very limited.
- We all eat, and it would be a sad waste of an opportunity to eat badly.
- People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas.
- It’s difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.
- There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw
- Eating crappy food isn’t a reward, it’s a punishment.
Tip: Use these sayings as reminders on your fridge, bulletin boards, and pantry to remind you to eat well and exercise enough.
Funny Losing Weight Quotes
In two decades I’ve lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet.
If you want to look young and thin, hang around old fat people.
The hardest lift of all is lifting your butt off the couch.
Stressed spelled backward is desserts. Coincidence? I think not.
Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.
Do you know what the secret to weight loss is? Don’t eat much.
No diet will remove all the fat from your body because the brain is entirely fat. Without a brain, you might look good, but all you could do is run for public office.
George Bernard Shaw
Exercise is a dirty word. Every time I hear it I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Charles M. Schulz
You might like Food Puns: Pizza, Cheese and More.
- Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.
- All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast.
- Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are.
- Eating smart is all about having an awareness of your body.
- Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.
Harriet van Horne
- To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art.
- Life itself is the proper binge.
Note: Please don’t take any of these clever quotes as medical, diet, or fitness advice. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Consult with your physician before starting any major fitness or diet plan is always good advice.
By Liz Olson
Liz is a writer and poet who lives in Minneapolis.
You’re on the Weight Loss Quotes page.
You might like: