The best art quotes and sayings in this world have inspired many to discover themselves and pursue their true calling. You don’t have to be an artist to understand the value and beauty of a piece of art.
Art can touch the soul of even the most untrained eye. It can take you into a new world that you may never want to leave again.
Here are some of the best inspiring quotes on arts that can give a new direction to your thoughts. You can never know what they can inspire you to do or become. Check these quotations out, and you may even share them with your friends and loved ones.
Quotes about Art
- Art, indeed, began with abstraction.
- The aim of every artist is to arrest motion, which is life, by artificial means and hold it fixed so that a hundred years later when a stranger looks at it, it moves again since it is life.
- The greatest scientists are artists as well.
- Art must destroy violence, only it can do it.
- It is not the office of art to spotlight alternatives, but to resist by its form alone the course of the world, which permanently puts a pistol to men’s heads.
Theodor W. Adorno
- The artist uses the talent he has, wishing he had more talent. The talent uses the artist it has, wishing it had more artists.
- Art holds fast when all else is lost.
- Every artist dips his brush in his own soul and paints his own nature into his pictures.
Henry Ward Beecher
- To be an artist is to believe in life.
The Arts Sayings
Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one.
All art requires courage.
Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.
Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better.
It has been said that art is a tryst, for in the joy of its maker and beholder meet.
Art is a microscope which the artist fixes on the secrets of his soul and shows to people these secrets which are common to all.
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in.
Art is man’s constant effort to create for himself a different order of reality from that which is given to him.
To make us feel small in the right way is a function of art; men can only make us feel small in the wrong way.
It is no wonder if Art frequently prefers Illusion to Truth: for Illusion is her servant, but Truth her mistress.
Art is the stored honey of the human soul, gathered on wings of misery and travail.
Famous Artists Quotes
Painting is just another way of keeping a diary.
I don’t paint things. I only paint the difference between things.
Everything you can imagine is real.
To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts — such is the duty of the artist.
Painting is silent poetry.
If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint.
Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is a painting that is felt rather than seen.
Leonardo da Vinci
The works must be conceived with fire in the soul but executed with clinical coolness.
I would rather die of passion than of boredom.
Vincent van Gogh
Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
The main thing is to be moved, to love, to hope, to tremble, to live.
I like to pretend that my art has nothing to do with me.
Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.
Great art picks up where nature ends.
If you hear a voice within you saying, ‘You are not a painter,’ then, by all means, paint, boy, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent van Gogh
The position of the artist is humble. He is essentially a channel.
It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Creativity takes courage.
You can’t use up creativity the more you use the more you have.
Design is so simple. That’s why it’s complicated.
Color is to the eye what music is to the ear.
Louis Comfort Tiffany
Think eight hours, work two hours.
I paint flowers so they will not die.
There are three responses to a piece of design: yes, no and wow.
Painting is easy when you don’t know how, but very difficult when you do.
Good design is obvious. Great design is transparent.
But, if you have nothing at all to create, then perhaps you create yourself.
Best Art Quotes
Every artist dips his brush in his own soul and paints his own nature into his pictures.
Henry Ward Beecher
The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.
Perfection in art, as often in life, is better captured by eraser than pencil.
Art is the lie that enables us to realize the truth.
The arts are an even better barometer of what is happening in our world than the stock market or the debates in congress.
Hendrik Willem Van Loon
Without art, the crudeness of reality would make the world unbearable.
George Bernard Shaw
With art, only talent counts.
Painting is a poem without words.
Of all lies, art is the least untrue.
Rules and models destroy genius and art.
Art does not reproduce what is visible, it makes things visible.
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.
Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.
Fine art is that in which the hand, the head, and the heart of man go together.
Art is not a thing; it is a way.
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Tip: Some of these art quotes work well as photo captions on Instagram and Facebook.
Creativity and Beauty
- Lying, the telling of beautiful untrue things is the proper aim of Art.
- To draw, you must close your eyes and sing
- I choose to paint beauty.
- When I think of art I think of beauty. Beauty is the mystery of life. It is not in the eye it is in the mind. In our minds, there is an awareness of perfection.
- Art is both the taking and giving of beauty; the turning out to the light the inner folds of the awareness of the spirit. It is the recreation on another plane of the realities of the world;
- Beauty will save the world.
- As an artist, I’d choose the thing that’s beautiful more than the one that’s true.
- But if you invest in beauty, it will remain with you all the days of your life.
Frank Lloyd Wright
- A thing of beauty is a joy forever.
- Beauty is one of the rare things that do not lead to doubt of God.
- How beautiful it is and how easily it can be broken.
- Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.
- Creativity exists in the present moment. You can’t find it anywhere else.
- The best part of beauty is that which no picture can express.
Sir Francis Bacon
By Mike O’Halloran
Mike is the editor and founder of Greeting Card Poet.
You’re on Best Art Quotes and Sayings.
You might like: